Doctor insights on:
What Is A Critical Value For Prothrombin Time
Depends: Pt of 16 is higher than the normal in most laboratories. However, the value needs to be taken in the context of other issues. Was the baby pre-mature? Is there any abnormal bleeding? Was the baby given vitamin k and pt repeated? It would be prudent to consult your pediatrician. ...Read more
Prothrombin time = 15.8 ses, does that mean i am k deficient? why does it increase? what are normal values? hvy periods, fibroid, lysteda, treatment?
INR matters more: Different labs have different standards for prothrombin times. To standardize, labs report a value called "INR." INR of 1 is normal. Elevated INR in the absence of taking warfarin/Coumadin can occur with certain abnormalities of the clotting system, vitamin K deficiency, liver disease (inability to make clotting factors), or may just be within margin of error for the lab & in need of repeating. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Abnormal clotting : An abnormal prothrombin time means that there is something wrong with your blood's ability to form clots and prevent bleeding. There are many conditions that result in such an abnormality, and you need to have your doctor figure out what the problem is based on other test findings and your symptoms. Sometimes you'll need a hematologist to consult if there is a chance of a serious bleeding problem. ...Read more
Repeat test.: A shortened clotting time that does not appear to reflect technical error has been associated with an increased risk of thrombosis, recurrent thrombosis, recurrent miscarriage, or bleeding, and may increase the risk of thrombosis associated with other common thrombotic risk factors (eg, factor v leiden, obesity, increased levels of d-dimer). ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What would be panic or critical values for prothrombin time test?
- What is the typical healing time for a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula?
- What is the average healing time for a scaphoid fracture in the wrist?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the usual recovery time for a fractured fibula in the ankle?
- What is the typical recovery time for a dislocated shoulder?
- What is the recovery time for a disc bulge?
- What is the typical recovery time for a meniscus tear in the knee?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free