Doctor insights on:
What Happens Without Iron In Your Body
Anemia: Iron is a necessary element and basic building block for hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the molecule in our red blood cells that transports oxygen from our lungs to the rest of the body. Lack of iron decreases our hemoglobin causing anemia. Anemia leads to fatigue, lethargy, diminished oxygen to organs, and ultimately death if not addressed. ...Read more
Can you determine if you have too much iron in your body by your folate (folic acid) levels? My doc says its pretty much the same thing.....
Iron overload: Normally excessive dietary iron is eliminated in the stool. If a person has hemochromatosis they absorb an increased amount of iron and it builds up in internal organs like the heart, liver, and pancreas causing organ dysfunction and failure. A similar thing can happen when patients get a lot of blood transfusions (because there is iron inside the red blood cells). ...Read more
: Hemochromatosis is the medical term for iron overload. This is a genetic condition and approximately 1 in 40 americans with norther european descent carry these genes. Iron overload can lead to diabetes, cirrhosis, impotence and liver cancer. A simple blood test can show if your iron levels are too high. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I was told that my iron levels in my body are really low.... If my iron levels keep going down what will happen?
Can cause anemia: Low iron relates mainly to your blood counts and how your bone marrow handles your body's need for hemoglobin. Low iron can be nutritional, because your body breaks down blood cells or because you are losing blood. The last two causes result from your body trying to avoid anemia by using iron to make more blood. Anemia and low iron need some investigation and treatment. Even if n anemia, not normal. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What happens to your body when you go without fat soluble vitamins?
- What happens to your body at 3 weeks pregnant?
- What happens to your body at 8 weeks pregnant?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What happens to your body after an abortion?
- What happens to your body in early pregnancy?
- What happens to your body during your period?
- What happens to your body before your period?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free