Doctor insights on:
What Happens When The Thyroid Gland Is Underactive
Hypothyroidism: Low levels of thyroid hormone can result from a "sick" underproducing thyroid gland (thyroid disease) or a normal thyroid gland that is being under-stimulated by the pituitary gland; releasing sub-optimal amounts of thyroid stimulating hormones. Symptoms include weight gain, fatigue, hair loss, skin drying, constipation, as well as many other less common features. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Thyroid gland is also known as Thyroid. It is an endocrine gland which produces thyroxin hormone which controls the metabolism in every cell in the body.It produces 80 to 90%t4 and 10 to 20 %t3. These control rate of metabolism and affect the growth and rate of functions of many cells in the body it is ...Read more
It is possible but: It is possible for anybody to have underactive thyroid problem but why you ask this question. If you have symptoms or sus[pect you may have it check with your doctor and it can be diagnosed by a blood test for thyroid hormones and TSH which is excreted by pituatary and is a useful test to diagnose thyroid disorders. ...Read more
Lab test essential: A child with hypoactive thyroid may have constipation, delayed growth, poor cognitive skills, large tongue etc. However, clinical signs and symptoms are not a good indicator of thyroid function. If there is any doubt, easily available and not too expensive tests, e.g., TSH and free T4 are essential for a proper work-up. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
I think my glands are swollen on the right side of my neck. It seems to flair up often. Can it be related to my underactive thyroid?
My thyroid is underactive. My ultrasound showed diffusely heterogeneous echo pattern, diffusely heterogeneous hypervascular thyroid gland, no thyroid enlargement, no evidence of focal abnormality, no evidence of cyst, mass or calcification. I have been pu
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean when the thyroid is full?
- When the epiphyseal plate is replaced by bone what happens
- What system is affected by removal of the thyroid gland?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What happens when the pericardium of the heart is removed?
- What happens to snot when the nose is pierced?
- What happens when osteosarcoma spreads to a lung is the end near?
- What could happen when the epiphyseal plate is replaced by bone?
- What happens to tsh level when thyroid gland is removed?