Doctor insights on:
What Happens When An Overactive Thyroid Goes Untreated
Graves' disease: An overactive thyroid can cause graves' disease. This is a condition associated with swelling of the tissues that surround your eyes, leading to eyelid retraction ("bug eyes"). If severe enough, this can cause significant eye irritation, double vision and redness. In severe cases, the swelling can damage the optic nerve and cause major visual loss. This needs to be followed by your eye doctor. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Be Sure 1st: The first thing to do is see a doctor to get lab tests to be sure hyperthyroidism is present. If it is present, then start thinking about treatment options. These may include medications to treat symptoms, medications to slow down the thyroid, surgery to remove the thyroid, or a radioactive iodine pill to kill the thyroid. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Blood Tests: While symptoms of feeling hot, easily tired, shaky, pounding/racing heart, sweating, irritability and eye changes may suggest this condition, blood tests for TSH and thyroid hormone levels are needed for this diagnosis. The TSH level is the most sensitive test for this condition. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Watch OTC meds: Agree w/ dr kern's answer. I would also suggest caution with otc (over-the-counter) products, especially those containing a decongestant used for relief of cold and allergy symptoms. Many otc products include a warning not to use them if you have thyroid disease. If your overactive thyroid is mild or has been successfully treated, they may be fine, but check w/ your doctor. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Sometimes appetite is driven beyond metabolic expenditure. Additionally, if you're getting treatment, your thyroid hormone levels decrease so that it is possible to gain back weight you may have lost. With treatment, many become transiently hypothyroid as well. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What happens when you leave a broken ankle untreated will it heal by itself?
- What happens when you leave an ingrown toenail for too long?
- What happens if ulcerative colitis goes untreated?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What happens if a bacterial infection goes untreated?
- What happens if thyroid cancer is left untreated?
- What happens if skin cancer goes untreated?
- What happens if strep throat goes untreated?
- What happens to an untreated overactive thyroid?