Top
20
Doctor insights on: What Happens If You Swallow Plastic Fork

Share
1

1
What would happen if you accidentally swallowed small pieces of a plastic fork?

What would happen if you accidentally swallowed small pieces of a plastic fork?

Nothing: Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken. Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it. ...Read more

2

2
While eating with a plastic fork, i accidently bit off one of the sharp ends and swallowed it. Very small. Only like 3mm but it's sharp. Is this ok?

While eating with a plastic fork, i accidently bit off one of the sharp ends and swallowed it. Very small. Only like 3mm but it's sharp. Is this ok?

Concerns: Unlikely to perforate gut. Unlikely to digest, but should pass through. Unlikely to show on x-ray. Let your doctor know, and be prepared to go to hospital, with abdominal pain. Eat fiber cereals, bulk to help pass along with adequate daily water. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
3

3
Two days ago, I swallowed a small piece of plastic which was broken from a fork I was using. Would it be harmful to my body? Would it get digested?

Two days ago, I swallowed a small piece of plastic which was broken from a fork I was using. Would it be harmful to my body? Would it get digested?

It could be: Harmful, as if it was sharp, it could have damaged your intestinal tract ranging from your esophagus all the way to your colon. But if it was a very small piece, more than likely it became encapsulated by your stool and at this point, you've likely already pooped it out. You can't digest plastic. At this point, you need to monitor for abdominal pain. If you develop pain reach out to your doc. ...Read more

4

4
I just swallowed a small piece of a plastic fork. What should I do?

I just swallowed a small piece of a plastic fork. What should I do?

Asparagus: For most, a small piece will transit out without difficulty within 3-4 days. If you consume some asparagus, especially in the stringy soupy form, it will form a congeal around the foreign object and soften the edges. Little kids swallow all sorts of stuff and my pedi-surgeon friend used this to help avoid having to go find them surgically. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
5

5
My child swallowed a small plastic tine from a plastic fork! do I need to worry!?

My child swallowed a small plastic tine from a plastic fork! do I need to worry!?

Probably no worry: If he didnt choke on it and he just swallowed it than it should just pass without worry. ...Read more

6

6
My 4,5 year old swallowed a piece of plastic fork, what can i do? Is it dangerous?

My 4,5 year old swallowed a piece of plastic fork, what can i do? Is it dangerous?

Usually not: If it made it to the stomach, it should eventually pass in the poo in a few days.If the kid can drink fluids without choking, it made it to the stomach. A pedi surgeon liked to feed the kids stewed okra because if forms a soft bond with the foreign object and helps it move through the gut without scraping the walls. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
8

8
My 14 month old son swallowed 3/4 of an inch of plastic fork.He current has no breathing/swallowing problem, but this happened 2 hrs ago.What do I do?

My 14 month old son swallowed 3/4 of an inch of plastic fork.He current has no breathing/swallowing problem, but this happened 2 hrs ago.What do I do?

Confusing question: You are not clear which end of the fork was swallowed, but do say the kid is now swallowing fine. This small piece could hang in the stomach exit and trigger vomiting or pass on through. A pedisurgeon advised feeding these kids stewed okra, which forms a gell around the sharp edges and helps propell the object trrough the gut. You could have him seen or feed him okra and wait to see what happens. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
9

9
What will happen if I accidently swallowed a piece of a plastic wrapper from a popsicle? How do I know that it is in my body system? Please help.

What will happen if I accidently swallowed a piece of a plastic wrapper from a popsicle? How do I know that it is in my body system? Please help.

Watch for symptoms: When you swallow something that is small usually the body gets rid of it in your stools. However, if the object is significantly large it might cause intestinal obstruction which requires immediate evaluation. You might present with abdominal pain and difficulty passing stools. If you are presenting symptoms please consider going to the ED. ...Read more

13

13
I swallowed a tiny piece of plastic from a pen by mistake because, it may have been sharp as it broke off, will this do me harm?

I swallowed a tiny piece of plastic from a pen by mistake because, it may have been sharp as it broke off, will this do me harm?

Doubtful: It is unlikely that a tiny piece of plastic will Injure your pharynx,esophagus or intestinal tract if you have no symptoms of discomfort in any of these areas or obvious bleeding or black stools. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
14

14
I think i swallowed a small piece plastic( thats from the noodles) what can I do to make it go down or am i ok.? What should I do.?

I think i swallowed a small piece plastic( thats from the noodles) what can I do to make it go down or am i ok.? What should I do.?

Should be fine: This happens often. Don't be concerned. Bread bag ties have gotten trapped in the gut and been found years later. Smaller things pass easily. ...Read more

15

15
I swallowed a rectangular piece of plastic about 7mm by 2mm from a disposable food container (recycle 1)? What are the risks? What should I do?

I swallowed a rectangular piece of plastic about 7mm by 2mm from a disposable food container (recycle 1)? What are the risks? What should I do?

Minimal: There is very little risk the plastic will get stuck in your digestive tract. It will very likely just pass through you as part of your bowel waste without you even being aware of it. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
17

17
3yr old swallowed sharp plastic shaped in a "t" about 1" x 1.25".Ped said wait till pass. Any danger symptoms to look for?If doesn't pass, tx options?

3yr old swallowed sharp plastic shaped in a "t" about 1" x 1.25".Ped said wait till pass. Any danger symptoms to look for?If doesn't pass, tx options?

Probably will pass: Even odd shaped things swallowed will usually pass. The most important thing is that it did not get stuck in the bak of the throat, but he would be coufging or gagging. Plastic won't usually show up on xray but it is important to make sure it passes in his stool. Rarely things can get stuck in the bowel wall, but unlikely. I have seen open safety pins pass, so look in the stool. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
19

19
If my son has swallowed several plastic puzzle pieces then will I need to do anything to get it out?

If my son has swallowed several plastic puzzle pieces then will I need to do anything to get it out?

Depends: On how big they are and whether they have sharp edges, and whether he becomes symptomatic with drooling or vomiting or pain. He should be evaluated in your local ER ASAP. He may need an urgent upper endoscopy to remove the pieces before they travel out of the stomach and either get stuck or injure the bowel. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
20

20
I may have, not certain,swallowed a very small amount of plastic, it was not heated, from a TV Dinner?

I may have, not certain,swallowed a very small amount of plastic, it was not heated, from a TV Dinner?

Not to worry: While I don't recommend swallowing plastic, our bodies can not digest plastic, so it should harmlessly pass out of your body in your stools. It is possible a large amount could create problems by producing an obstruction, but I can't imagine a very small amount causing any trouble... ...Read more