Doctor insights on:
What Happens If Tonsillitis Does Not Clear Up After A Course Of Penicillin
Doxycycline: Doxycycline for 2-4 weeks is recommended if penicillin cannot be given, or sometimes ceftriaxone. However, penicillin is by far the best drug. If you had a severe penicillin allergy in the past, then probably penicillin should be avoided. Otherwise, it still might be the best choice for you. Discuss it with your doctor or, even better, an infectious diseases or STD specialist. ...Read more
Bacteria resistance: Tonsillitis can have different causes. Antibiotics are indicated for tonsillitis with a positive culture for strep. Some bacteria are resistant to penicillin causing antibiotic treatment failure. If the symptoms have not resolved after appropriate antibiotic therapy then re-check is indicated. Perhaps the cause is not bacterial. ...Read more
I've finished my course of penicillin v for tonsillitis but there are still a couple of tiny spots on my tonsils. Is this a problem? They aren't sore
I've been on the depo provera for 5 months with no periods of problems but I've just bled after sex, why is this? I'm taking penicillin (tonsillitis)
Alternatives: There are plenty of non-penicillin alternatives that can be used; Erythromycin is one of the most common. If you really need to be treated with a penicillin derivative, your allergist can desensitize you prior to starting the antibiotic. But it is always best to use an alternative so that you don't run the risk of having a penicillin reaction. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
If you are allergic to penicillin , what would be your preferred drug to treat tonsillitis/pharyngitis ?
I have had tonsillitis (diagnosed on symptoms, not testing), which responded well to penicillin. Does this rule out potential HIV exposure as a cause?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What happens if you dont follow thru on a check up after an abortion?
- What happens if my baby does not move out of the transverse position?
- What happens if the umbilical cord does not fall off by week 3 of life?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What happens to unbilical cord if it does not fall off after 3 weeks?
- What happens if a yeast infection doesnt clear up?
- What happens if umbilical cord does not come off after 3 weeks?
- What happens if a comminuted wrist fracture does not heal?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free