Doctor insights on:
What Happens If The Biliary Atresia Is Left Untreated
Transplant: Treatment for biliary atresia is a kasai procedure which should be done before 60 days of life to be effective. One third of patients will do well and be cured. One third will do well for a period of time(years) but will eventually need a liver transplant. The final third will fail kasai and need a liver transplant sooner. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on situation: If picked up early enough, some respond to surgery to re-establish bile flow. If operated later than 10 weeks of age, most will need a liver transplant to survive. All cases are quite unique & conferring with the treatment team will provide the best information. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Bile Duct Blockage: The bile duct carries the bile formed in the liver to the small intestine. Any disease that narrows, scars, or obstructs the duct can be called atresia. In some cases a patient is born with a narrow duct, called congenital atresia. In other cases chronic inflammation, infection, or even rejection of a liver transplant can cause scarring or narrowing of the duct. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Surgery: Once the diagnosis is made and if the baby is considered an appropriate candidate, the approach is surgical. As the problem is lack of drainage of bile from the liver to the intestine, a new connection is made between the liver and intestine. It is called a portoenterostomy or a kasai procedure. Sometimes the child is not a candidate and may need transplantation of liver. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What happens if dysplasia is left untreated?
- What happens if a thyroid is left untreated?
- What will happen if giardiasis is left untreated?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What happens if thrush is left untreated?
- What happens if trichomoniasis is left untreated?
- What happens with melanoma if left untreated?
- What happens if hypothyroidism is left untreated?
- Talk to a pediatrician online