Doctor insights on:
What Happens If My Baby Is Born With Sickle Cell Disease
Needs special care: Baby w/ sickle cell disease needs special attention, so work closely with your pediatrician and pediatric hematologist (blood disease specialist). Your baby need daily medications (vitamins, antibiotic). You need to learn to spot signs and symptoms of sickle cell crisis. Your infant should get all routine childhood vaccines because he/she may not be able to fight infections well. ...Read more
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
If my baby is born with sickle cell disease does that mean I and her father have to have the trait?
Yes: Both of you have to carry the gene. ...Read more
Good: With comprehensive sickle cell care, including newborn screening for the disease, childhood penicillin prophylaxis and receipt of new conjugated vaccines to decrease early death from infection, and ongoing screening for increased risk of stroke in childhood with resulting intervention to decrease risk of stroke, it is unusual for a child to die of sickle cell disease today. ...Read more
Sickle cell testing: In the United States, all states mandate testing for sickle cell anemia as part of their newborn screening programs. The test uses blood from the same blood samples used for other routine newborn screening tests. The test can show whether a newborn infant has sickle hemoglobin (from http://www.Nhlbi.Nih.Gov/health/health-topics/topics/sca/diagnosis.Html). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What wil happen if my babys poop has my drugs in it when born?
- What happens to babies born addicted?
- Will my baby have sickle cell disease if my partner and i carry the gene
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the causes of sickle cell disease?
- What will happen if i fly without extra o2 and i have sickle cell disease?
- How is a baby born with the sickle cell trait when neither parents has it?
- What if my baby is born at 36 weeks?
- Talk to a pediatrician online