Doctor insights on:
What Happens During Pregnancy That Might Cause Pyloric Stenosis
When your due date arrives, you will be more than ready to have your baby! Most women deliver the baby somewhere between 37 and 42 weeks. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, only 5% of babies arrive on the exact due date. Approximately 7% of babies are not delivered by 42 weeks, and when that happens, it is referred to ...Read more
Not always known: Pyloric stenosis can have either an environmental or a genetic cause, and when occurring together these two will raise the likelihood of occurring.Pyloric stenosis is four times more common in males. Some families have aggregate of cases in certain familiies. It's about four times more likely to occur in firstborn male infants ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: They are not related.Get a more detailed answer ›
Best thing i've come up with from projectile vomiting is pyloric stenosis. Is that the only cause?
Not bile: Technically, there can be no bile in the emesis of a patient with pyloric stenosis. The pylorus is the muscular valve that controls exit of contents from the stomach. When the pylorus is stenotic, it is virtually closed, and the patient vomits out all gastric contents. Bile enters the GI tract in the duodenum downstream from the pylorus and stomach, so it can't be in the emesis of such a patient. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not known for sure: Causes are unknown, but some genetic and environmental factors probably. Higher rates among certain families and offspring of mothers who with pyloric stenosis.Pyloric stenosis occurs more often in males than in females.Early antibiotic use in infants and during pregnancy of mothers may play role.3 out of 1,000 babies in US.4 x more in 1st born males.If in parent then infant 20% chance ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What happens during pregnancy that might cause gastrochesis in a baby?
- Does pyloric stenosis cause jaundice?
- What is the result of hypochloremia in pyloric stenosis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can pyloric stenosis cause infertility later in life?
- What is the result of metabolic acidosis in pyloric stenosis?
- What kind of complications might happen from a hysteroscopy?
- What kind of complications might happen from a myomectomy?
- Talk to a pediatrician online