Doctor insights on:
What Does Tsh Stand For In A Blood Test
TSH: Stands for thyroid stimulating hormone. It is a sensitive test to detect the functioning level of the thyroid gland. The brain produces TSH and that stimulates the thyroid to produce it's hormone. If the level of the TSH is high, it means the thyroid gland is under active. If the TSH is low, that indicates the thyroid is overactive. Your doctor should discuss your results and what needs to be done. ...Read more
Depends on med: It depends on which type of medication, those containing T3 (liothyronine) will change the TSH quite rapidly whilet4 will take longer. Either way we usually wait at least a month to retest so that the result is stabilized to the current dose. Tsh changes in those not on medication will depend on the medical condition, if any, that is present. ...Read more
Depends.: Why was it done in the first place? Depending on the lab, it may be normal or low. If low, it needs to be repeated, along with other thyroid tests such as free t4. If the thyroid is enlarged, this TSH is consistent with early hashimoto or graves disease, but if it is normal in size, these diseases are very unlikely. ...Read more
Thyroid testing: The TSH level will be checked, and if it is out of the reference range, the lab will then run a ft4 without requiring the physician to call you in to have blood drawn again. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does tsh stand for on blood work?
- What does hpf stand for on a blood test?
- What does crea stand for in blood test?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does bun in a blood test stand for?
- What does bun stand for on a blood test?
- What does tsh blood test mean?
- What does tsh blood test show?
- Talk to a pathologist online for free