Doctor insights on:
What Does The Sphere Of My Prescription Say About My Visual Acuity
Near-, or farsighted: If the first number (the sphere) on your prescription has a + notation before it, you are hyperopic (or farsighted), which means you can see better far away than up close (relatively). If there is a - in front of that first number, then you are myopic (nearsighted) which means you see better up close than far away, relatively. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Near or far sighted: Sphere is the degree of near (minus power) or far (plus power) sightedness. For example, -3.00 sphere is 3 diopters of nearsightedness. -4.00 would be even more nearsightedness. Put a + in front of those numbers instead, and that would be farsightedness. Sphere does not include any astigmatism, a.K.A. Cylinder. ...Read more
Depends: As a rule of thumb, the strength of the prescription needed to correct 20/40 vision is about one diopter. It may be one diopter of correction for nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, or a mix of astigmatism with nearsightedness or farsightedness. Your eye doctor will perform a refraction to determine the exact prescription and an exam to rule out a medical cause for blurred vision. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No, not always: Visual acuity is a measure of how well you see. In most cases this reflects on what your prescription might be but it can't estimate it exactly. There are many other factors that determine how well you see: if your retina is healthy and if there are other problems with your cornea or lens. It's possible to have poor visual acuity and yet have no need for glasses. ...Read more
Ask your eye doc: But honestly there is not a table to convert this. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- I have a swollen gland on the right side of my neck what does this mean
- What does it mean when i have pain in the lower part of my pubic area?
- What does it mean when i have a headache on the left side of my head?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does it mean if i have pain on the right side of my body?
- What does it mean when the right side of my stomach?
- What does it mean when the whites of my eyes?
- What does it mean when the back of my hand starts to hurt?
- Talk to a ophthalmologist online for free