Doctor insights on:
What Does Pancreatic Pain Feel Like
Abdominal organ. It is digestive organ: it secretes enzymes into the small bowel which break down food and help its absorption. It is also an endocrine organ: it produces hormones involved in sugar control and control of digestion. Insulin is one of these hormones. Diabetics either lack Insulin (type 1 diabetes) or have inadequate ...Read more
What does pancreatic cancer abdominal pain typically feel like? Can it occur primarily on the left side?
Painless: pancreatic cancer initially is painless,that why it can sneel on peopale until they becomes jauncise,and that sometime could be the first sign of cancer. pancreatic cancer could be discovered early by accident. pancreatitis could be very painful. pain on left side could be spleen,or colon,stomach,or tail of the pancreas.rarely cancer. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Pain that comes and goes on my left side feels like it's under my rib, could it be my pancreas in scared
Pancreas?: Your pain could be caused by many things that may or may not be pancreas related. Please make an appointment to see your primary doctor as soon as possible. I would appreciate hearing what the problem is and how it is getting better. ...Read more
Glucose+digestion.: The islets of langerhans in the pancreas contain its endocrine cells that produce hormones that help control blood glucose levels: Alpha cells - glucagon, beta cells - Insulin and amylin, delta cells - somatostatin, pp cells - pancreatic polypeptide, epsilon cells -ghrelin. The exocrine cells make digestive enzymes, like trypsinogen and chymotrypsinogen, to break down lipids and carbohydrates. ...Read more
Yes and no: Hi. Pancreas transplants are sometimes (pretty rarely, actually) done for diabetes, but not for the digestive enzyme part of the pancreas. The digestive enzyme deficiency part of having a pancreas removed is treated with pancreatic enzyme pills. Usually we just treat the deficiencies of pancreas removal with oral digestive enzymes and basal and bolus insulins. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Pancreatitis info: Hi QFong, If you have been diagnosed with pancreatitis, I would recommend that you seek treatment guided by a physician as soon as possible. The treatment is fairly simple but you need work up to determine the cause and to be monitored clinically depending on the severity of your illness. Here is some additional information. I hope this answers your questions. http://wb.md/2gWMgUZ ...Read more
Yes: Pancreatic resections removing the entire pancreas are occasionally performed for pancreatic cancer. The organ is not essential except for its endocrine and exocrine function. The islet cells lost produce insulin, that is essential and the exocrine portion of the gland, produce enzymes that are available commercially to help in digestion. Most can then lead a normal life. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not easy: It is possible to live without a pancreas, however, it requires a lot of medication and is associated with increased illness and death. One study found that 1/3 of participants died within the first three years of their pancreatectomy. Some of these deaths were cancer related, so likely the odds are better for a non-malignant cause. ...Read more
Multiple functions: On one hand, it produces several enzymes needed to digest food. This is the "exocrine" part of the pancreas. On the other hand, there is an "endocrine" part that is responsible of the levels of blood sugar (through the release of Insulin and glucagon). It also release other hormones. ...Read more
Exocrine, endocrine: Hi. The vast majority (about 99%) of pancreatic mass is dedicated to exocrine function, the production of digestive enzymes and secretion into the duodenum to digest food. The remaining 1% of pancreatic mass makes hormones (endocrine function), the two most important being insulin and glucagon, although there are also several others. Overall, digesting food and regulating energy balance. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does fibromyalgia pain feel like?
- What does joint pain feel like?
- What does kidney stones pain feel like?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does hernia pain feel like?
- What does heart chest pain feel like?
- What does acid reflux pain feel like?
- What does heart attack pain feel like?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online