Doctor insights on:
What Does It Mean When Small Amounts Of Hydroxyurea Are Found In The Blood
Depends on situation: What is the reason Hydroxyurea is being given? One use of Hydroxyurea is to treat resistant chronic myelocytic leukemia (cml, a cancer of white blood cells). Cancers increase risk of blood clots (dvt), which can be treated w enoxaparin (clexane) in such a case, both would be given. If in hospital, meds like enoxaparin can be used to prevent dvt.Other scenarios exist in which both could be used. ...Read more
1 month old : Homozygous hemoglobin E disease (genetic; inherited from both parents) gives mild beta thalassemia & anemia & mildly enlarged spleen; probably doesn't need treatment. Hgb E beta thalassemia disease (E from 1 parent, beta thal from the other): severe incurable disease. Hydroxyurea safe in infants. My guess: start early as possible after 1 mo old. Do discuss this with your pediatric hematologist. ...Read more
Risks vs. Benefits: Hydroxyurea is used to treat sickle cell anemia and some leukemias (blood cancers). As will most medications, there is no official time limit. A medicine that is helpful, is doing a good job, has no equal alternative, and thus is needed, can be used until it is no longer needed. The doctor can explain the risks of "not treating" and of drug side effects, versus the benefits of using hydroxyurea. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does small amounts of hydroxyurea in blood mean?
- What does a small amount of blood in urine mean?
- What does it mean when blood is found in a pregnant woman urine?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does it mean when shadow found on cheest ct scan?
- What does it usually mean when dense spots are found in a mammogram?
- What does it mean when a shadow found on chest ct scan?
- What does small blood cells mean?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free