Doctor insights on:
What Does It Mean When Small Amounts Of Hydroxyurea Are Found In The Blood
Depends on situation: What is the reason Hydroxyurea is being given? One use of Hydroxyurea is to treat resistant chronic myelocytic leukemia (cml, a cancer of white blood cells). Cancers increase risk of blood clots (dvt), which can be treated w enoxaparin (clexane) in such a case, both would be given. If in hospital, meds like enoxaparin can be used to prevent dvt.Other scenarios exist in which both could be used. ...Read more
"Hydroxyurea may affect fertility (ability to have children), whether a man or a woman."Please advice..
Chemotherapy: it is a chemotherapy drug (a mild one, that doesn't have severe side effects, once it has been checked, worries about it lowering blood counts too much are not much). It does lower sperm quality and that effect can last after it is stopped. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17316339 ...Read more
Well tolerated drug.: Hydrea is a chemotherapy like drug that can help prevent painful crises in patients with sickle cell disease. It is well tolerated for the most part. There can be fatigue, mouth sores and loose stools. It will routinely lower the white blood cell count and platelets, but not to dangerous levels. Hemoglobin may actually improve. There is ? Of leukemia risk in other diseases, but not in scd. ...Read more
Hydroxyurea: Hydroxyurea is a chemotherapy drug and should not be used in healthy people. It will cause suppression of the bone marrow that can lead to low white blood cells, anemia (low red blood cells) and also low platelets. It is a potentially dangerous medication that should only be used as prescribed by a physician. ...Read more
Side Effects: There are some serious, but rare, side effects with hydroxyurea, including secondary leukemia, pulmonary fibrosis, pancreatitis, and peripheral neuropathy, or damage to the nerves. Discuss the benefits of decreasing the severity and length of the sickle cell attacks, and the risk of rare side effects as above. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does small amounts of hydroxyurea in blood mean?
- What does it mean when the whites of your eyes are yellow?
- What does it mean when you have yellow in the white of your eye?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does it mean when i have pain in the lower part of my pubic area?
- What does it mean when blood is found in a pregnant woman urine?
- What does it mean when the lymph nodes on right side of neck are swollen?
- What does it mean when you have a trace of non hemolyzed blood in your urine?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free