Doctor insights on:
What Does It Mean When Short Cervix
How short?: Short cervix only matters when it comes to pregnancy. If cervix is < than 2.5 cm long, there is increased risk of prematurity. Your OB can check for funneling of membranes into cervix early on, and after 24wks, do a test called fetal fibronectin. If this is positive and you have short cervix, your risk of prematurity is much higher, and your doctor may want to implement steps to reduce risk. ...Read more
Short Cervix: The cervix is the passage way where the baby travels from the uterus to the vagina when being delivered. The longer the cervix, the longer the baby has to travel, which may mean longer labor before the baby is delivered. Thus when the cervix is short there is unfortunately an increased risk of premature delivery and your doctor may recommend increased bed rest in the next few weeks before delivery ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: The only time that would be an issue is during pregnancy. During pregnancy a woman who is known to have a short cervix should be followed closely for the development of an incompetent cervix - that is usually accomplished by performing serial trans-vaginal ultrasound measurements of the cervix and allows for considering a cervical cerclage if the cervix is found to be shortening further. ...Read more
I am @ the hospital for short cervix- 3 weeks now- stuck til delivery (23wks pg). My dr has only seen me twice so I never know my status. What can I do?
Ask to speak to MD: This is a difficult position to find yourself in. Many times the general ob/gyn relies on the perinatologists (high risk docs) and residents to round on the patients that are hospitalized. Call the doctor's office and ask to speak with the doctor. Speak with your nurse and ask that she make contact with the office if you are uncomfortable. There should be a doctor checking on you at least daily. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean when your menstrual cycle gets shorter?
- What does it mean when obgyn says you have a young cervix during colposcopy?
- What does it mean when laceration of cervix?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does it mean when your period blood is brown?
- What does it mean when blood comes out your penis?
- What does it mean when your urine is hot?
- What does it mean when your urine smells like fish?
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free