Doctor insights on:
What Does It Mean When A Baby Soft Spot Is Bulging
Possibly, but...: A bulging fontanel is associated with meningitis. But babies with meningitis have other issues, which may include fevers, poor feeding, lethargy. And bulging fontanel is not only caused by meningitis either. Please see your child's pediatrician if you are concerned. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Get checked: If you are checking the fontanelle while your baby is laying down, then it may appear bulging due to gravity, so sit the baby up and check it. If it is still bulging or if the baby has a fever or is lethargic or inconsolable and very cranky then get your baby checked immediately. ...Read more
Depends: If the baby is healthy, probably nothing. When sick, however it may mean incresed pressure in the brain.Best ask your pediatrician. ...Read more
No: The skull bones are already fused in craniosynostosis and the head shape should be different in appearance. In addition to examining the fontanelles, your doctor should be following the head circumference. If your baby's head is growing as expected that is a good measure of growth. Often the fontanelle feels closed but is still there. I am not sure of the age of your child and advise may change. ...Read more
Go to ER: There may be increased pressure in the brain so get the baby checked out immediately. ...Read more
Does craniosynostosis mean a baby's soft spot is closed or their suture lines? Are the soft spot and cranio independent of each other?
Craniosynostosis: Craniosynostosis is the premature closure of a growth plate or suture. Most children will close only one suture early although some genetic syndromes will close multiple sutures. The soft spot or fontanelle is the point where multiple sutures come together. Fontanelles will usually close with the suture. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My four months old baby has a slight ridge on her forehead and after the soft spot. Could this mean her skull has fused too early? Or something else?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean when a babies soft spot is buldging?
- What does it mean is a babys fontanel is bulging when they are sick?
- What does it mean when a baby has a swollen soft spot?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Whats it mean when a babies soft spot is raised
- What does it mean when a baby is breech?
- What does a bulging soft spot mean in a baby?
- What does it mean when you dream holding a baby?
- What does it mean when the soft spot on a babys head is raised?