Doctor insights on:
What Does It Mean To Have An Artificial Hip
Total hip replace: When arthritis is severe in the hip ( no cartilage between bones) and/or causes constant intense pain and lack of function, or when there is other pathology (disease) that requieres to remove the afected part of the hip then total hip replacement is indicated. Artificial hips are made of titanium and requires some sort of biological " cement" to put in . Plastic, screws, plates may be required. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Total hip replacement: surgery in which the diseased ball and socket of the hip joint are completely removed and replaced with artificial materials. A metal ball with a stem (a prosthesis) is inserted into the femur (thigh bone) and an artificial plastic cup socket is placed in the acetabulum (a "cup-shaped" ...Read more
Ask orthopedist: I would get clearance from your orthopedic surgeon. You can dislocate your artificicial hip with that range of motion. ...Read more
Better: A hip replacement often improves range of motion. Sometimes too much motion, and dislocation becomes a risk. Metal on plastic surfaces don't last forever, so higher impact activities should be limited. Otherwise, daily activities are restored, and function is better than before surgery. ...Read more
Hip: Consider a team, guided approach with progressive increased activity as tolerated and provided by your orthopedic surgeon, pt, and ot teams. Start with walker, progress to cane, work to master stairs. ...Read more
A few reasons: If the prosthetic hip is loose, infected, or dislocates, revision may be required. ...Read more
An artificial hip: The hip joint consists of a ball and socket formed of bone and cartilage. The diseased bone is removed and a new ball and socket, usually made out of metal and plastic is inserted surgically. The new hip, while mechanical, works in a manner very close to a normal hip joint. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean to have an incomplete right bundle branch block?
- What does it mean if i have a shooting pain from my hip to knee?
- What does it mean to have an accessory spleen?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does it mean to have an enlarged liver?
- What does it mean to have an alanine aminotransferase of 35?
- What does it mean to have an elevated white blood cell count?
- What does it mean for an adult to have coarctation of the aorta?
- Talk to a orthopedic reconstructive surgeon online for free