Doctor insights on:
What Does A Leg Ulcer Look Like Due To Sickle Cell
LIKE ANUY ULCER: As any ulcer.Get a more detailed answer ›
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
Ankle ulcer: Sickle cell ulcers most often occur on the inside of the ankle, or just above the ankle. There are similarities in appearance to venous stasis ulcers and venous insufficiency was even suspected in sickle cell patients. Venous insufficiency was found not to be causing ulcers in sickle cell patients. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: No. Factors which determine if you will lose your leg are, 1) how good / bad the circulation is, or 2) whether you have a deep wound infection which will not clear with just antibiotics alone. Showering and keeping wounds clean does help prevent infections. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: Sometimes there is an isolated incompetent venous perforator vein under an ulcer. It may have been there for years and in retrospect the patient may remember pain in the area after exercise. When the skin above it can no longer compensate for the increased pressure, an ulcer can form. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does a sickle cell leg ulcer actually look like?
- What does a leg ulcer look like?
- What does a skin rash related to dust mites look like?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does a diabetic foot ulcer look like?
- What does a skin reaction to a tb test look like?
- What does a foot ulcer look like when it starts?
- What does the start of a diabetic foot ulcers actually look like?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free