Doctor insights on:
What Does A Fractured Thumb Look Like
A fracture is a broken bone. As there is cartilage at the end of many bones at the joint, a fracture may also include a break in the cartilage. Fractures and broken bones are the same thing. It seems that many believe that a "fracture" is a lesser injury or an incomplete break in the bone, but this is not correct. Fractures may be displaced or ...Read more
X-Ray, scan, or MRI: Usually a simple x-ray will give you the answer. Sometimes, especially soon after the injury, the x-ray will initially appear to be normal even though there is a fracture. Your physician if still suspecting a fracture may recommend an mri, or bone scan. Suspicion of fracture goes up with amount of pain and soft tissue bleeding, site of maximum pain, and findings of indirect pain on examination. ...Read moreGet help now ›
6 weeks: Usually 6 weeks. ...Read moreGet help now ›
If a thumb had a fractured growth plate 4 years ago could it still be causing problems now? Can it be fixed?
Maybe: growth plate fractures can be problematic. Best to see ortho hand specialist. In addition to X-ray, might want to see mri or bone scan of area. Hope this helps. Best of luck. Dr. R ...Read moreGet help now ›
Get help now ›
Yes: It is possible that a growth plate injury could effect your thumb years later. There can be shortening, deformity, stiffness, and sometimes even pain. if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, see you hand or orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation and x-rays. ...Read moreGet help now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does a sprained thumb look like?
- What does a fractured wrist look like?
- What does a hairline fracture look like?
- What does a fractured ankle look like?
- What does a fractured foot look like?
- What does a colles fracture look like?
- What does a hymen look like?
- What does a boil on the vagina look like?
- Talk to a orthopedic surgeon online for free