Doctor insights on:
What Do Nail Polish Fumes Do To You
Potentially danger!: Have you been sniffing the fumes? Unlike clorox fumes, nail polish is made from petroleum distillates which can be extremely toxic to your brain among other things. Always use in a well ventilated area and keep your nose out of the bottle! ...Read more
What exactly are the nervous systems damages associated with acetone and nail polish fumes/inhalation?
Is it safe to have my one year old daughter around fumes like....Nail polish, nail polish remover etc.
Spilled acetone on tv remote, the back melted and smelled very bad. Any dangers from inhaling those fumes? Also mixed w nail polish fumes
No worries: Never use nail polish remover nor acetone around anything plastic. Spills happen, and plastics get ruined. That said, as long as a person is not intentionally sniffing, and as long as there is adequate airflow, typical nail polish remover acetone odors from normal home use of those products don't cause problems. ...Read more
Numerous chemicals are in nail polish and the chemicals vary with the different products e.g. Nirocellulose, ethyl acetate, resins, plasticizers, solvent, coloring agents, adhesive poymers, formaldehydes, camphor, pigments, thickening agents, toluene, sylene and the list goes on and on.
Anyone using nail polish should use products from companies that formulate responsibly and have a good reputation. ...Read more
Death: "huffing" can cause fatal cardiac arrhythmias and sudden death. ...Read more
If nail polish is hazardous as most doctors claim, how often should I apply it without taking the risk?
0....: Your nails are beautiful......in the natural form. ...Read more
Why do my nails hurt (feel like they got hit with a hammer!) after I take off nail polish after having worn it a few days? Takes a few hrs to kick in.
Irritant?: If your nails only hurt after you removed the polish, I would suspect that remover is irritating them. ...Read more
No: White nail polish is not formulated for oral use. It will not adhere in a moist environment, it is toxic, and it can damage your oral soft tissue. Do not use in oral environment. Your local dentist will know best what is clinically right for your teeth. Many dentists have a 'no charge' consult. Take care... ...Read more
Not the good polish: An underlying nail fungus is usually the culprit, and using nail polish may exacerbate the fungus. Most good polishes will not harm the nails, and in fact can act as a protectant. ...Read more
No: There are potentially toxic materials in SOME nail polishes, toluene, formaldehyde and DBP. The industry has been moving away from these chemicals and coming up with non toxic formulations. Nail polish manufactured in the United States does not have lead. There has been lead found in polish from Taiwan. ...Read more
Swallowing dried: Nail polish is not good. If you do a tiny bit by accident no worries. If you have a habit of doing that you can poison yourself. That habit may be some OCD that you need treatment for. Start w/a visit to your doctor. Peace and good health. ...Read more
Possibly Pica: I am not sure from your question, but when you use the word "crave" to indicate that you ingest these items, then pica is a definite possibility. However, if you are saying that you "crave" these odors, then you are not referring to pica. Problems with pica requires the actual ingestion of items that would be considered inedible. If you are doing this, then it would be important to get evaluated. ...Read more
Raynauds: You may have raynauds syndrome. Please see a physician for this condition. ...Read more
Our brains seek: Our brains are always seeking pleasure. Your body feels that sniffing nail polish is pleasurable so you want to do it. ...Read more
Could a single, accidental whiff of nail polish that is then immediately thereafter coughed out cause any harm?
I doubt it: Most nail polish now does not contain formaldehyde. It would be unlikely that you inhaled much if anything taking one whiff, but if you are not feeling well I would check with your doctor ...Read more
I painted my toes and don't know how far along I am didn't know it could be harmful should I remove the nail polish?
If I am allergic to normal earrings, can I put a coating of clear nail polish on the earring, or is that bad? I've read this on a few websites.
Yes: This often helps to stop the contact but needs regular application. ...Read more
I Have dark nails (too much melanin apparently).I have been consulting many times but no one can help. Am I condemned to wear nail polish all my life?
Nails: Yes there's nothing you can do about it ...Read more
Painted my nails a pink color, 2 wks ago, nails tips started looking a little green, it's almost a new nail polish so why? Can I paint my nails again?
Fungal infection: If you went to a salon that does not properly clean the equipment, fungal infections very common- you should always bring your own tools to any salon. If green then cut the ends off and buy an anti fungal that you put under your nails ...Read more
I have a reoccuring white appearance from edge of all nails which clears when gel or nail polish is applied but when the nails is exposed it reappears?
Finger nail whitenes: There are certain conditions like a superficial nail fungus which can make a bright white spot on the top the nail, , which polish would naturally cover this area. You must see your dermatologist or your regular physician to see if this is a possible fungus or some other condition. ...Read more
Not a good idea.: I appreciate your desire to be ridded of head lice; but nail polish remover contains acetone--not a recommended product for use on hair. Many newer medications for head lice are now available by prescription that are superior to otc products. If you have already used otc--and failed--then call your doctor and request one of the newer rxs. You'll be thankful you did! ...Read more
No, just annoying: Yellow nails can be caused by several things, including some medical conditions. When it comes to nail polish, though, the yellowing is a result of your nails absorbing some of the pigment from the polish. Dark red pigments are most likely to stain your nails, so try a lighter red, or a different color altogether. ...Read more
No: This seems extremely unlikely to trigger allergy or anything troublesome. Do remember that the skin here is a little bit more delicate than elsewhere. ...Read more
Probably not: Not likely. But how did you get in this situation in the first place? Small amounts of polish are not likely to be toxic if only a one -time deal. ...Read more
Yellow nails: Fingernails that are yellow can be an indication of a medical disorder in some cases. These include liver disease, lung disease, diabetes, kidney disease, and nutritional deficiencies, most notably iron and zinc. Although most cases of yellow nails are not caused by an internal disorder, underlying medical problems should be ruled out if your nails have suddenly changed in color. Simple blood test. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- What to do when you inhale toxic fumes?
- Can you get nail fungus from nail polish?
- Nail polish remover in hair
- Nail polish bug bites
- Chiggers treatment nail polish
- Lamisil nail polish
- Safe nail polish
- Nail polish on eyes
- What happens if you get nail polish on your tongue?