Doctor insights on:
What Do I Need To Know About My Endoscopy Procedure
Informed consent: Talk to your doc. At the least, you need to know the nature of procedure, indication for it, alternatives to it (including not doing it), material risks, and expected benefits. Get brochure from md. Can get info online from GI organizations and medical societies. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Upper/lower?: Upper=stomach endoscopy, usually no prep except not eating/drinking x 4 hrs, then sedation via iv, and doc puts scope through mouth and throat into stomach, looks and biopsies if needed. Lower=colonoscopy, prep by flushing system with strong prep laxatives, then sedation via iv, and scope enters via anus and looks at 5 feet of colon, biopsies etc. ...Read more
Conscious sedation: Conscious sedation is widely used to relax the patient, so the experience should be relatively comfortable. ...Read more
Depends: Some doctors perform capsule endoscopy at the hospital, others at the office. Typically, the patient does a cleanse the day before comes to the hospital/office-has electrodes and a data recorder placed in about 30 minutes, swallows a capsule that morning and returns in the afternoon where the data is downloaded. ...Read more
See below: I would talk to your child, and let them know what to expect. Try to allay their fear as much as you can. And let them know they will be given some medicine to make them sleepy. ...Read more
Usually: What you ask is called an ERCP and involves putting a lighted tube the size of your pinkie down your throat into your stomach and through it into the duodenum, and passing a smaller tube through that into the tiny hole (ampulla of vater) through which your pancreas and bile duct enter the bowel--all while lying on your stomach! i'd want sedation for that! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What do i need to know if i am flying with my baby?
- My sister was diagnosed with bladder cancer what do i need to know
- My sister was diagnosed with conjunctivitis what do i need to know
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- My sister was diagnosed with esophageal cyst what do i need to know
- Do i need to starve before endoscopy?
- My sister was diagnosed with broken heart syndrome what do i need to know
- What do i need to tell my fiance about my future health i have lung cancer?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online