Doctor insights on:
What Do I Do If My Baby Is Distracted And Having Trouble Feeding
Time: 15-20 min on each breast.Get a more detailed answer ›
Timing: I encourage parents to feed their infants every 3-4 days during the day. Breastfeeding will have a different pattern at times as infants will cycle through high demand days. Don't fall for the "you're not satisfying him" remarks. I like routines if parent is trying to return to work soon. http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/feeding/feednewborn.html# ...Read more
Common finding: They do what they do.Some are lazy relaxed feeders and some are aggressive barracudas.Some are bored with the process and want to do something else. You just work through it. ...Read more
Y feed babies solids at 6 months if they are fine starting at 4? And used to feed at 4 for centuries
Delay until 6mo: Solid foods were once used to make up for deficiencies in home made milk formula used in the 50's to 80's.A return to breast FDG & modern formulas changed the value of solids from nutrition, to a pathway to teach baby to eat & transition to table foods.Waiting until 6m allows baby to sit & participate in a feeding, much as the will when older.Start with a few tablespoons as a paste. ...Read more
I wait until sitting: Studies of various populations show that breast milk alone supplies balanced nutrition for the first year +. Most early solid feeding pressure comes from the days babies were fed home made blends of boiled cow milk/karo & vitamins.At the time early supplements made sense, now they are overdone.Starting should focus on training baby to sit up & eat in preparation for his/her position at the table. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What do i do if my baby is still waking in the night to feed?
- What should i do if my newborn is vomiting and seems to have trouble breathing?
- What can i do if i am have trouble holding in my stool after giving birth?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- I have trouble sleeping at night what should i do
- What should i do if i think my baby is having a tet spell?
- What do i do if my baby is having breathing retractions?
- What makes my kid to get easily distracted?
- What can i feed my baby having strep throat?