Doctor insights on:
What Chance Of Surviving Pneumonia
Good if healthy: If he has been otherwise quite well, and if the pneumonia is not severe, his chances of surviving with timely treatment with antibiotics is very good. If he has other complicating medical problems and is debilitated, then the risk of complications is higher. A very severe pneumonia also could be dangerous in an older person. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Chance of grandfather surviving pneumonia? He is almost 88. He was just in the hospital for a UTI and he went back in after a seizure = new medicine.
QOL: Question would be how otherwise healthy is your grandfather. Why the seizure? History of seizures? Probably better if history of seizures, since people with history of seizures tend to have them when they are sick. Also better if had a seizure secondary to an antibiotic lowering threshold for seizures...Meropenem, etc. On ventilator? ...Read more
Good: The chances of getting lung infections increases with age and underlying diseases, but is far more common in those over the age of 60. Pneumococcal pneumonia used to be called the "old man's friend" because it would produce death in elderly individuals with chronic diseases that were debilitating. ...Read more
Depends: Does the kid have normal health prior to the illness? What circumstances led to the pneumonia?What type of pneumonia is it? We routinely see/treat pneumonias in 11 yo as an outpatient.Most have a viral process that self heals, some have other germs that can be worrisome. I have seen influenza & bacterial pneumonia almost kill a kid, but illness that bad is quite rare. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Don't be scared: Young people like yourself are less likely to have a pneumonia unless your immune system is significantly compromised. So, if you are just like normal people- you don't need to be scared about pneumonia. The result from the netherland's study has to be treated carefully. The result is linked to the inability to kill organism due to the lack of stomach acid. However, the risk is very small. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What the chance of surviving pneumonia while recovering on a stroke?
- What are your chances of surviving when your spleen ruptures?
- What are the chances of surviving a pulmonary nodule?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the chances of a 13 year old surviving stage 4 neuroblastoma?
- What are the chances of surviving stage 4 cancer?
- What are the chances of surviving septicemia in the intensive care unit?
- What are the chances of surviving a diagnosis of head and neck cancer?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free