Doctor insights on:
What Causes Swelling In The Legs And Ankles
Swelling is the enlargement of organs, skin, or other body parts. It is caused by a buildup of fluid in the tissues. The extra fluid can lead to a rapid increase in weight over a short period of time (days to weeks). Swelling can occur all over the body (generalized) or only in one part ...Read more
Possibilities: Venous insufficiency, lymphedema, congestive heat failure, inflammatory conditions or diseases as well as high salt intake. Does elevating feet/legs help. If so that's good. Means it is gravity dependent and can be treated with compression. See physician for work up and treatment. ...Read more
Painful swelling in ankle & legs possibly caused by lymphoma. Waiting on biopsy to confirm underlining cause. How to reduce pain&swelling in meantime?
Be seen: I would make sure you are being seen and fully evaluated. Blood clots are more common in patients with cancer, can cause similar symptoms, and are potentially life threatening. There are certainly other potential causes. You need to be seen for a specific diagnosis regarding your swelling beyond that you may or may not have lymphoma. ...Read more
Venous insufficiency: The most common cause is non-functioning valves in the leg veins. This allows back flow of blood and body fluids seeping into the tissues. There are other causes involving the heart, kidneys, liver. Get checked out by your internist. The remedy is compression stockings, elevation of the legs, surgical intervention by a vascular specialist, diet modification. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What causes swelling in the legs and ankles and feet?
- What causes swelling of the legs ankles and feet?
- Swelling of legs and ankles cause
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What might cause swelling in my right ankle and leg?
- What causes swelling in the legs?
- What cause swelling in the feet and ankles?
- What causes ankle swelling in pregnancy?
- Talk to a podiatrist online for free