Doctor insights on:
What Causes Low Diastolic Blood Pressure
Blood pressure is a measurement of the force placed on the blood vessels and is comprised of the "systolic" pressure (the top number on a blood pressure meter) which is the peak pressure when the heart is pumping, and the "diastolic" pressure (the bottom number on a blood pressure meter) which is the pressure during the resting phase ...Read more
Genetics/lifestyle: More than 90% of HTN is essential (primary) in nature. This implies that it occurs on its own. The remaining 5-10% is secondary htn, which means another primary medical problem is driving the high BP (example renovascular, endocrine, catecholamine-induced, sleep apnea). Essential HTN usually based on increased vasoconstriction. This is made worse by obesity, salt/alcohol intake, sedentary, . ...Read more
Many things: There are many things that can cause this; sometimes, it's not even pathological, the person just normally has lower blood pressure. If it is acute, it could be due to infection or dehydration. It could be due to heart failure. It could be due to endocrine problems. It is impossible to build a reasonable differential from a single symptom. ...Read more
Blood pressure: Some folks have low pressure as their normal. If a patient with an established higher normal begins to have low pressure then some causes are fever, dehydration, infection, hormonal changes, and other possibilities. If pressure is too low it can affect critical organ functions. ...Read more
Many things: This is a problem that requires a face-to-face meeting with your doctor. In that meeting, your doctor will listen to you, perform a throrough examination and possibly order labs or other tests. Based on this information, he/she will be able to tell you what's wrong and what to do about it. ...Read more
Blood pressure: High blood pressure is often idiopathic meaning we don't have a reason for it. Cardiovascular disease renal disease and some endocrine diseases can cause it. Pain anxiety and medications such as various stimulants can raise BP as well. Low BP can be idiopathic or caused by cardiovascular disease endocrine disease anemia and dehydration. ...Read more
Diet: Hbp rises due to eating a diet full of salt and water. People with hbp have difficulty excreting excess salt and water. If a person with hbp eats a diet filled with salt (hamburgers or steaks) and fluids (excessive coke or beer), then they will see a spike in their blood pressure because they can't get ride of this extra salt and fluid normally. Not taking your meds will lead BP spikes as well. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Low Blood Pressure: Low blood pressure (BP) may be normal for an individual who is thin, has a very low salt intake, inadequate fluid intake, developed an irregular heart rhythm or other heart problem. Athletes often have low heart rates and low BP due to their extreme fitness. Dysautonomia (dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system) can cause low BP - treated with support hose, postural maneuvers and medicines. ...Read more
Many: A better answer is what foods can reverse high blood pressure. This includes the dash diet: fruits: 4-5 servings/day vegetables: 4-5 servings/day whole grains or fiber: 6-8 servings/day dairy (low fat): 2-3 serving/day meat (lean): 2 servings/day lower dietary sodium intake low fat (<6% of daily calories) low cholesterol intake (<150 mg/day) low sodium intake (<2.4 grams/day). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Causes of low diastolic blood pressure
- What is a low diastolic blood pressure?
- What is considered low diastolic blood pressure?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does a low diastolic blood pressure mean?
- Diastolic low blood pressure
- Causes of low diastolic pressure
- What is the cause of high diastolic blood pressure?
- Talk to a cardiologist online