Doctor insights on:
What Causes A Splenic Infarction
No Blood to Spleen: A splenic infarction occurs when there is not enough blood going to the spleen to give it nutrients & oxygen its cells need to survive. Anything that cuts off blood supply to the spleen can cause an infarct. Ex. Trauma causing blood vessels to be destroyed, sickle cell anemia & other problems that lead to clogged arteries going to the spleen, autoimmune disease, blood cell disease, emboli, etc. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
An infarct is simply tissue that is devoid of blood circulation, usually leading to death of the cells downstream to the blockage. The spleen is part of the immune system in the left upper quadrant. A splenic infarct is when a part or all of the spleen's circulation is interrupted causing part of the spleen to shrink or die. It is often associated with pain in the ...Read more
My husband has a very large splenic infarction caused when they had to embolize his splenic artery. Does his spleen need to be removed?
I was just diagnosed with splenic infarction. The hospital couldn`t give me much info. What do I need to do and how long does the pain last?Dangerous?
Splenic infarcts: Sometimes. The main causes of splenic infarcts are clots (thrown from the heart which can be from a heart valve infection or an enlarged heart w/ blood pooling then clotting; or due to someone w/a disease wh/causes clots like sickle cell or cancer), a rapidly enlarging spleen outgrowing its blood supply (infections like mono/cmv or certain blood diseases); rarely autoimmune diseases cause infarcts. ...Read more
When the blood supply of a tissue is compromised by whatever mechanism, the tissue will stop working and if blood flow is not restored, the tissue will eventually die ("infarct", both verb and noun). The clinical picture that runs with development of an infarct ("heart attack"; ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What causes a sharp pain in the lower abdomen while urinating?
- What causes a sudden black out in vision?
- What is the cause of a large hard lump in my calf muscle?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What causes a tingling sensation in your head?
- I have a tender spot on the back of my head what could be the cause
- I have a sharp pain in my chest when i cough or sneeze what causes this
- What causes a tilted cervix?
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free