Doctor insights on:
What Causes A Detached Retina
The retina is the light sensitive layer in the back of the eye that transmits images to the brain via the optic nerves to create vision. If a hole or tear develops in the retina, eye fluids can separate the retina from underlying layer (choroid) . The most common cause of retinal holes or tears is traction from the vitreous, the clear gel that fils the inside of ...Read more
None: These are mechanical and structural events usually preceded by straining or anatomical problems. No medication will cause them but some can ease the pain. ...Read more
Hole in Retina: An rd is usually caused by a hole or tear in the retina or from membranes pulling on the retina. If you are referring to an rd after lasik, it is possible that distortion of the globe during surgery can cause a detachment, but it is unlikely. You should immediately see an eye md if you have symptoms. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I've been getting regular check ups with my eye doctor and my eyes seem fine. Can reading or studying a lot cause a detached retina?
None: Retinal detachment is an urgent and visually threatening lifting off of the retina from its moorings in the back of the eye. There are no home remedies for this, no herbals, no physical things you can do. You need ophthalmologic evaluation immediately and if detachment is present some form of laser or operative surgery is the only thing to save your eye and vision. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Friend on facebook just diagnosed with detached retina. In my country we never heard that term. Is that something new?
Detached retina: This is the term for the lifting off of the retina, the light sensory part of the back of the eye, from its attachment to blood supply and supporting membranes in the back of the eye. This may happen from trauma, previous eye surgery and also spontaneously. This is an urgent situation, sight threatening which requires an ophthalmologist to evaluate immediately. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can alcohol abuse cause a detached retina?
- What causes a sharp pain in the lower abdomen while urinating?
- What causes a sudden black out in vision?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the causes of a swelling foot and leg and turning black?
- What causes a tingling sensation in your head?
- I have a tender spot on the back of my head what could be the cause
- I have a sharp pain in my chest when i cough or sneeze what causes this
- Talk to a ophthalmologist online for free