Doctor insights on:
What Can Kill Black Mold
Thieves Oils: Theives oil will kill all molds; but nothing will work well until the moisture problem is cleared up. This is a proprietary blend of essential oils of clove, rosemary, cinnamon, eucalyptus and lemon. Several studies have shown effectiveness in killing mold spores. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Molds consist of airborn spores and spreading forms (hyphae) growing on surfaces. Several species are black including stachybotrys and aspergillus. Black mold ingestion has been associated with a toxic syndrome with brain and blood disorders. Most patients do not ingest black mold so the correlation with their ...Read more
Generally not: You are not likely to die.Get a more detailed answer ›
Black Mold: Very hard to tell what type of mold it is by just looking at it. There are lots of different molds out there that can have a dark or black color. The best way to identify is to have experts take samples to determine what mold you are dealing with. Exposure to small amounts of mold in your house will not kill you but if you have an indoor mold allergy, it can contribute to worsening rhinitis/asthma ...Read more
I say "No": Lawyers and "pop" health advocates claim that various molds in the home produce substances that cause grave illness. I remain skeptical after having followed the claims for about 15 years. Since it's hard to eliminate mold from hard-to-get-to places in the home, people seeking explanations for vague . mysterious symptoms will decide mold is the cause, go online & tell others. ...Read more
Black mold: Depending on how much you inhaled it and if you have any lung diseases and or if you have any conditions that affect your immune system, it might cause lung related problems. However if you are healthy, you don't have any symptoms now, you would probably be fine. See a doctor and discuss about it if it still bothers you. ...Read more
See below:: While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. In 2004 the institute of medicine found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. ...Read more
Depends on Exposure: Transient exposure to a small amount of mold is likely not significant. Symptoms usually only occur with very high levels of exposure like in an occupational setting. "Silo-unloader's disease" or "grain fever syndrome" has been described in workers exposed to large quantities of fungal material while cleaning silos but illness is typically self limited and workers recover without lung impairment. ...Read more
Stop worrying: Black mold is very common, and after 20 years of internet scare stories, the scientific community has still not identified any believable syndrome. Most of us think that the business is being kept going by tort lawyers and big-money mold-removal corporations. People with vague / psychosomatic complaints are urged to blame "black mold", and the big losers are ordinary, decent people. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can vinegar kill mold?
- What health problems can black mold cause?
- What symptoms can black mold cause?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can black mold cause pneumonia?
- Can black mold cause cancer?
- What are the symptoms of black mold exposure?
- What are the treatments for exposure to black mold?
- Talk to an allergist online for free