Doctor insights on:
What Can I Do To Prevent Constipation While Traveling
Manage your diet: Constipation is common while traveling. Drink lots of water and eat fresh fruits and vegetables when you can. Bring a mild laxative such as milk of magnesia pills 'just in case' you get bound up. The most important thing is to drink lots of water. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Fiber is good but: If you are not drinking enough fluid it can lead to constipation. Remember caffeine and alcohol dehydrate and lead to constipation. Generally i recommend 80-100 ounces of caffeine free/alcohol free fluids every day. It will take 10-14 days of this regimen to see improvement. If not better need to have a GI workup for other causes of constipation. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Avoid certain foods: There are certain foods that have a tendency to cause constipation. Dairy products and cheeses to name a few. Increasing fluid in the diet, increasing the amounts of fresh fruits, vegetables, and roughage in the diet all help. It can be done without medications or laxatives. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Drink: 80-100 oz of caffeine free/alcohol free fluid daily. Add 20 oz extra per 30 minutes of strenous exercise or activity. Compensate with extra fluid oif you are on medications that are known to contribute to constipation, such as narcotics, antihistamines, cholesterol meds, BP meds and diuretics as well as antidepressants and antipsychotics. ...Read more
Change your diet and: Fluids. Eat a high fiber diet between 20-25 grams per day, regular meal times and drink 80-100 oz of caffeine free alcohol free fluids daily. If you exercise and should add 20 oz per 30 minutes of strenuous exercise. Some meds contribute to constipation so take the meds with full glass of fluid instead of a sip in addition to the above recommended fluids. ...Read more
Fiber: Whole grain cereals, bran, fruits eaten with the skin/rind, vegetables. ...Read more
Fresh fruits and veg: Fresh fruits and vegetables in their natural state are high in water, and fiber and will help constipation. You might benefit from additional water in your diet. Having 5-7 servings a day of fresh fruits and vegetables should help constipation. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber a day and a gallon of water or fluids a day. ( each fruit is about 2-3 g of fiber) each veggie is about 3 g fiber. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- My eyes sometimes burns for no reason what can i do to prevent burning
- What can i do to prevent my fingernails from twisting as they grow?
- What can i do to prevent pregnancy from happening after sex?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- I got boxer fracture for the 2nd time what can i do to prevent another fracture
- What can i do while i have chickenpox to reduce the chance of scarring?
- What exercise can i do to slim down my hips and butt while pregnant?
- What can i do to control my lupus symptoms and prevent flares?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online