Doctor insights on:
What Can Cause Low Platelet Count
Can the drug Dutasteride cause low platelet count in 58 years old male ? he is using it daily for 2.5 years
Thrombocytopenia: Low platelets (thrombocytopenia) can be caused by many conditions, both benign and malignant. Some people are born with it. Other times it's due to a lab error known as "platelet clumping". Many medications can cause it. There are also a host of serious hematological problems which cause low platelets, such as itp and leukemia. It's very important that low platelets be evaluated by a hematologist. ...Read more
See below: Low platelet count, thrombocytopenia, may be due to low production, as in bone marrow failure, excessive alcohol intake; increased destruction as in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura or drug related platelet destruction. Enlarge spleen form any cause may lower platelet count. See this site for more info. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thrombocytopenia/basics/definition/con-20027170. ...Read more
See below: All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Having said that, liver disease can cause both of these as can many other conditions. It would be prudent to discuss it with your doctor who ordered the tests. ...Read more
That is just: Barely low. Long list of possibilities, but at this level no need for "treatment". ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the cause of low platelet count?
- What causes a low platelet count?
- What causes low platelet count?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can marijuana cause low platelet count?
- Can anemia cause low platelet count?
- Can aspirin cause low platelet count?
- Can milk thistle cause low platelet count?
- Talk to an oncologist and hematologist online for free