Doctor insights on:
What Are The Usual Bacterial Causes Of Pneumonia In Tweens And Teens
At risk: Once the inner lining of the lung is infected, it is prone to a secondary infection. It may take weeks to recover from influenza, and a secondary pneumonia can occur at any time during that period. There is evidence that the risk for a pneumococcal pneumonia occurs even one week after influenza infection. An interesting link for more information: http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2013/06 ...Read more
Viral: Viruses or atypical pneumonias due to mycoplasma, chlamydia are far more common than bacterial infections in this age group. Unfortunately influenza and other viral infections may predispose to secondary bacterial infections. Stay in touch with your family doctor and follow their vaccine recommendations. ...Read more
Many possibilities. : The most common cause is likely viruses, followed by a germ called mycoplasma & then pneumococcus. The presenting features af the different germs usually varies as does the appearance on x-ray. ...Read more
Can't streptococcus cause pneumonia too? And if so my doc put me on azythromiycin will this treat bacterial pneumonia?
Several things: The cause of tachypnea and tachycardia would be the increase in inflammatory mediators seen in infection and catecholamine levels associated with the stress response. There may also be lower levels of oxygenation and increased work of breathing. If there is some degree of respiratory muscle fatigue, then this stimulates rapid shallow breathing as well. The exact mechanisms are not well understood. ...Read more
My daughter is 4 with delays and has had many bacterial and viral illnesses (aspiration pneumonia), but never gotten a fever. What might cause this?
What is walking pneumonia? Is it caused by a specific kind of bacteria or virus? How is it different from regular pneumonia?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the causes of pain and pressure in the left eye?
- What are the causes of pain in the back and down the leg?
- What are the causes of numbness in thumb and forefinger when carrying something?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the causes of angina in early teens?
- What are the causes of hoarseness and drooling in a small child?
- What are the causes of numbness in hands and severe rib and spine pain?
- What are the usual causes and treatment for headache at the base of the skull?
- Talk to a pediatrician online