Doctor insights on:
What Are The Symptoms Of Sickle Cell Disease
Pain vs weakness: All anemias if bad enough will cause fatigue, weakness, lightheadedness, or shortness of breath with exercise. Sickle cell disease patients are anemic and have these issues, but also have episodes of pain that can occur anywhere in the body (sickle cell crisis) as an additional problem. ...Read more
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
Well tolerated drug.: Hydrea (hydroxyurea) is a chemotherapy like drug that can help prevent painful crises in patients with sickle cell disease. It is well tolerated for the most part. There can be fatigue, mouth sores and loose stools. It will routinely lower the white blood cell count and platelets, but not to dangerous levels. Hemoglobin may actually improve. There is ? Of leukemia risk in other diseases, but not in scd. ...Read more
Not much: Sickle cell disease is seldom subtle. Patients have intermittent periods of intense pain, often in bone, they have all manifestations of profound anemia, including diminished exercise tolerance, shortness of air, generalized fatigue, etc. This is a very bad disease with few subtle manifestations. ...Read more
Is it possible to be diagnosed with sickle cell anemia at 43? Even without ever experiencing any symptoms of the disease?
Possible, but...: Most people will have symptoms of enough severity to be diagnosed before adulthood. That being said, there is variation in the severity of sickle cell disease, most likely due to a number of other genes that modulate the symptoms. Thus, it probable is quite rare, but there could be that individual with a particular genetic makeup that has minimal disease that goes undiagnosed. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Can you please explain why symptoms of sickle cell disease not show until a child is a few months old?
Protective effect: Exerted by fetal hemoglobin.Get a more detailed answer ›
I have sickle cell disease and pneumonia i very common with me but lately i been unsure of when I have it. Because i've had it with no symptoms before?
Symptoms change: The condition called "acute chest syndrome" happens in patients with sickle cell disease. It makes patients short of breath, cough, have chest pain and need oxygen. It can be caused by germs and looks like pneumonia on xrays. As patients get older, their frequency of acute chest can change. The xray can show long-term damage that also looks like pneumonia but without a new episode of acute chest. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: The defect of sickle cell anemia occurs when 2 sickle cell genes are passed to a newborn. Since each parent passes half their genes at conception & it takes 2 sickle genes to cause disease, one gene comes from each parent. Many parents carry this gene quietly, unknown to them because it doesn't make a single gene carrier sick. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Genetics: Sickle cell disease must be inherited from both parents. Sickle cell trait (1 sickle gene, 1 normal gene) is usually asymptomatic. 2 persons with sickle cell trait have a 1/4 chance of having a child with sickle cell disease, but the parents are often unaware that they have anything. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
My husband and I are both carriers of sickle cell anemia. What are our chances of our children exhibiting this disease?
25%: If both of you have sickle cell trait then each of you has one normal beta hemoglobin gene (a) and one with the sickle cell mutation (s). Your children will inherit one beta globin gene from each of you for a total of two. Therefore for each child that you have, there is a 25% chance of sickle cell disease (ss), a 50% chance sickle cell trait (as), and 25% chance of normal hemoglobin (aa). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Signs and symptoms of sickle cell disease
- What are the causes of sickle cell disease?
- Malaria in sickle cell disease
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Sickle cell thalassemia disease
- Is sickle cell disease curable?
- Sickle cell disease
- Sickle cell disease or sickle cell anemia
- Talk to a hematologist online for free