Doctor insights on:
What Are The Symptoms Of Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome
Many: The most obvious sign of a hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state is an alteration in mental status or functioning. People may become lethargic or drowsy, confused, or even delirious. In severe cases a person may become unresponsive. Occasionally they can have seizures, visual problems, and movement or sensory problems. This is a dangerous condition that need immediate medical attention. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See answer details.: Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state is a complication of diabetes mellitus in which high blood glucose levels cause severe dehydration and an increase in serum osmolarity (relative concentration of solute); it is associated with a high risk of complications, including possible coma and death. It is related to diabetic ketoacidosis (dka), another complication of diabetes, but lacks the ketones of dka. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Dehydration: If you have type 2 diabetes that gets very out of control due to infection, stress, surgery, cortisone or other factors, you can become severely dehydrated as well as have a very high glucose. This can even lead to coma, with an up to 50% morbidity if not treated quickly and effectively with large amounts of IV fluids, a small amount of insulin, control of the original cause and adjustment of elec. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Coma due to diabetes: By your question i will assume he is in the hospital. This condition is due to poor control of diabetes either due to not taking medications or as a result of some inciting condition like infection amongst others, a better controll of diabetes will help prevent this. In summary it's a coma caused by caused by high glucose. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the causes and symptoms of down syndrome?
- What are the common causes and symptoms of cyclic vomiting syndrome?
- What are the symptoms of torch syndrome?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the most common symptoms of dressler syndrome?
- What are the core symptoms of painful bladder syndrome?
- What are the most common symptoms of pallister killian syndrome?
- What are the symptoms of leaky gut syndrome?
- Talk to a geriatrician online for free