Doctor insights on:
What Are The Normal Potassium Levels For An Infant
4.5-6 in <1month old: Infants (less than 1 month) have higher pottasium levels. Usually in the range of 4.5-6 meq/l but at 1 month the normal range is 3.5- 4.5 meq/l. ...Read more
SEVERAL REASONS: This is common in right after birth in extremely premature infants, this may be due to ranal insufficency or decreased production of urine, and other kidney diseases may cause it as well if the infant is on IV fluids that can cause it too, and rarely addison disease in infants can cause high pottasium level. ...Read more
Investigation: Needs investigated by a doctor.Get a more detailed answer ›
Varies By Source: Reference ranges for potassium vary based on the lab. In general though, the approximate range is in the range of 3.7-5.9 meq/l or 3.7-5.9 mmol/l. For more information visit http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/books/nbk307/. Please seek medical attention if you are concerned about abnormal potassium levels in an infant. ...Read more
Unlikely: No way to test, however the cell wall pumps work against the external gradient, so unlikely they would be able to work extra hard against the range where they should maintain homeostasis. ...Read more
Can a 3.60 (slightly low) potassium level go to normal with simple changes in diet for one or two days or is longer time needed for improvement?Thnx
Low K: There should be a reason why you K is low. Are you on meds ? Diarrhea etc. diet may help but if you have gon goon losses k may not rise just with diet. Determining the cause is key. A urine study can often help along with a good history. Often meds are the culprit for low K. Suggest find cause fix that and diet will help. Best of luck. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the normal ranges for estrogen levels for a 25 yr old female?
- What is the normal range for potassium levels in blood?
- What are the treatments for an infant vaginal yeast infection?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the normal heart rate for an infant?
- What are the causes treatment for high potassium levels?
- What are the normal ranges for blood glucose levels?
- What is the normal fasting blood sugar for an 11 year old child?
- Talk to a pediatrician online