Doctor insights on:
What Are The Effects Of Meningitis
Brain damage: Hearing loss, alterations in a wide range of neurological functions can occur. These are predominantly due to inflammation of the sheath of blood vessels entering the brain through the subarachnoid space (which the meninges surround). With brain swelling, herniation of the brain stem can occur, usually fatally. The type of damage will depend upon which areas of brain are attacked. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Bacterial Meningitis: Hearing loss, mental retardation, seizure, speech and language delay, visual impairment, behavioral problem. Early recognition, prompt antibiotic rx and supportive care reduces severity of long term complications. Less than 6 mo age, severe infection, seizure more than 4 days into therapy, coma, tend to have more long-term sequelae. Severe neuro-developmental sequelae in 10-20% and 50% have some. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Usually minor: -local reaction at injection site--tenderness and pain very temporary. -rare allergic reaction as possible with any vaccine or medicine with hives, wheezing, throat swelling. -potential guillain-barré syndrome: no clear association has been found w/ vaccine but extremely rare random cases noted with : neurological symptoms like muscle weakness, tingling, & numbing sensations. ...Read more
VACCINE: SIDE EFFECT: Meningococcal vaccine: current recommendation: 1st dose at 11 years and booster 5 years later. New recommendation is coming to start at two years or as early as 2 mo age in susceptible children, 2 to 4 doses. Side effects: like all other vaccines, some malaise, mild headache, low grade fever, localized redness lasting 1-2 days. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the side effects of meningitis vaccine?
- What are the long term effects of meningitis?
- What are the negative side effects of swallowing semen?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the side effects of cortisone shots for mortons neuroma?
- What are the effects of marijuana smoke on babies?
- What are the effects of drinking alcohol while taking thyroid medicine?
- What are the emotional effects of birth control plan b?
- Talk to a neurologist online