Doctor insights on:
What Are The Dangers Of Zetia
Is there any difference in Zetia and a generic alternative like ezetimbe. The cost is very much cheaper?
Ezetimibe is the generic name for zetia, a medication that decreases absorption of cholesterol from the GI tract. This medication works by blocking the niemann-pick c1-like 1 (npc1l1) protein which allows sterols, including cholesterol, to be absorbed into the intestine. Blocking this protein results in increased production of LDL receptors that then clear LDL ...Read more
Cholesterol blocker: Zetia is the brand name for ezitimibe, a medication that works by selectively inhibiting the intestinal absorption of cholesterol and related phytosterols. Zetia acts by blocking the niemann-pick c1-like 1 (npc1l1) receptor that is responsible for cholesterol and phytosterol absorption via the intestine. In response, LDL receptors are increased causing reduction in ldl-c and LDL particle number. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Debatable!: Personal opinion only! if i were 96, i would not be taking zetia. Are we talking about adding years to your life, months to your life or weeks or days to your life. Esoteric to my way of thinking. I would have a very frank discussion with my doctor and decide to stop or continue. I would have to have a very compelling reason to continue this expensive med and want to know why I have to take. ...Read more
Yes, But Why?: While you can take both together, polycosonol has not been shown to have a significant effect on blood cholesterol levels. Regarding outcomes, zetia in combination with Simvastatin has shown significant reduction in cardiovascular events in patients with chronic kidney disease. A large trial testing the outcome benefit of zetia added to statin therapy(improve-it trial) is still ongoing. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the dangers of nasal irrigation with hydrogen peroxide?
- What are the dangers of eating too many sunflower seeds?
- What are the dangers of eating too much lettuce?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the dangers of a liver cleanse with epsom salt olive oil grapefruit?
- What are the dangers of mixing metronidazole and alcohol?
- What are the dangers of snorting adderall?
- What are the dangers of albuterol overuse?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free