Doctor insights on:
What Are The Complications Of Food Poisoning
Depends: Staph: lasts 1-3 days. Viral gastroenteritis can last a week. Anything longer needs evaluation. See doc if fever, bleeding, severe symptoms, i.e. Can't keep anything down or in, other health issues, e.g. Diabetes, chronic illnesses, elderly, very young, rash, joint pains, recent travel, antibiotics in past 2-3 months, etc to make sure of the diagnosis, and get appropriate rx, avoid dehydratio, . ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Many: There are many pathogens that cause food poisoning. It is often possible to sort them out based on onset of symptoms. Most of these causes of food poisoning are self limiting. If you have vomiting and diarrhea that exceeds your input you may need medication and possibly IV fluids although rehydrating orally is best. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Fluids, maybe meds: Supportive care, fluids, brat diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, tea), maybe meds. Not always antibiotics; be careful using antidiarrheals-can retain the germ. Probiotics can be helpful. Contact md if prolonged, fever, bleeding, can't keep things down or in. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Possible but...: If one had food poisoning which resulting in severe, intractable diarrhea, one could be very dehydrated and orthostatic (becoming hypotensive when standing), one might end up having a syncopal episode (passing out). Also if you had severe nausea/vomiting episodes and became vasovagal, it could potentially lead to passing out. However, these would be extremely rare and unusual occurrences. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the complications of food borne illnesses?
- What are the short term effects of food poisoning?
- What are the symptoms of food poisoning and how long untill symptoms show up?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the chances of getting food poisoning abroad at five star hotels?
- What are the first signs of food poisoning?
- What are the symptoms of food poisoning from pork?
- What are the symptoms of poisoning from paint thinner fumes?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free