Doctor insights on:
What Are The Characteristics Of Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder involving lungs & digestive tract, causing recurrent lung infections due to thick inspissated mucus & poor growth in majority of patients due to malabsorption. Treatment involves inhaled respiratory therapies to prevent lung disease & pancreatic enzymes to enable absorption of nutrients. Average life expectancy is near 40 years, ...Read more
Inherited disease: Cystic fibrosis (CF) is an inherited disease that affects the cells lining the lungs, sinuses, intestines, spleen and liver. It prevents chloride ions from crossing the cell membranes properly. This can clog organ ducts. In the lungs, the extra mucus crushes the cilia and leads to more lung infections. Medications can help; in late-stage disease, lung transplantation may be life-saving. ...Read more
Progressive disease: Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a progressive, lifelong condition in which the glands that produce mucus, sweat, and intestinal secretions do not function properly. Thick mucus accumulates in the lungs, leading to breathing difficulty and infection. CF also impairs digestion, and affected males are usually infertile. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on genes: The risk of acquiring cystic fibrosis (CF) depends on whether the parents of a child are carriers for the gene. It is estimated that about 1 in 20 americans are carriers of the CF gene. In order for a child to acquire the disease, both parents must be carriers. If both parents are carriers, there is then a 25% chance that the child will acquire the disease. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Get tested: Testing for cystic fibrosis starts with a sweat test. If that is abnormal, genetic testing in the blood is used to confirm the diagnosis by finding the specific genetic mutations. In general, people with CF have recurrent pulmonary infections and abdominal discomfort/diarrhea due to fat malabsorption. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the chances of having a second child with cystic fibrosis?
- What are the chances of a woman with cystic fibrosis getting pregnant?
- What are the physical symptoms of cystic fibrosis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the characteristics of white blood cells?
- What are the end life symptoms of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis?
- What are the characteristics of cardiorespiratory endurance activities?
- What are the major characteristics of the nervous system?
- Talk to a pediatrician online