Doctor insights on:
What Are The Characteristics Of An Individual With Albinism
Albinism: Albinos inherit a deficiency in a gene which makes pigment. Pigment is protective against sun and other environmental influences it is usually a recessive and therefore the abnormal gene is in both parents with a 25% of albino offspring (higher if the parent is albino themselves). Multiple body systems can be affected including vision. Sun sensitivity is extreme. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: Albinism is a genetic pigmentary disorder. The genetic defect that affects enzymes that are involving in pigment (melanin) production or distributive pathways. With this condition, it is absolutely imperative to use sunscreen/block, sunglasses, and sun protective clothing to prevent uv induced damages. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Pedigree analysis: Albinism is a recessive trait, meaning that it entails the loss of a function and you must have two copies of the gene to see it. The way to know if you are a carrier is to examine your ancestors and see if there is a history of albinism in a direct ancestor. There are also genetic tests available. A genetic counselor can help if this is a major concern for you. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What causes albinism in humans?
- What is the best treatment for partial albinism?
- What are the characteristics of atherosclerosis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are characteristics of tendonitis in arms?
- What are some characteristics of als?
- What are the general characteristics of lipids?
- What are the characteristics of cystic fibrosis?
- Talk to a clinical geneticist online for free