Doctor insights on:
What Are The Causes Of High Blood Pressure
Blood pressure is a measurement of the force placed on the blood vessels and is comprised of the "systolic" pressure (the top number on a blood pressure meter) which is the peak pressure when the heart is pumping, and the "diastolic" pressure (the bottom number on a blood pressure meter) which is the pressure during the resting phase ...Read more
Many causes: The degree of high BP and response to treatment is the key, . Obtain 5 - 10 readings and see what the average is. From there one treats, but in the absence of being overweight, essential hypertension is the most likely cause, ie, it occurs and no specific cause is identified. ...Read more
how much?: All bps normally fluctuate. BP meds can exaggerate this as they are absorbed and lower BP and wear off with release of BP control. Aging exaggerates it as blood vessel elasticity wanes. An extremely rare (1 in a million) tumor called pheochromocytoma can cause it -unlikely that you have that! ...Read more
Mostly Genetics: The most common cause is called essential hypertension- 90% is of this type. This type is mostly from genetics. Some people are born with an inherent sensitivity to salt. So there is an environmental (diet, stress) component in some. Other causes include a narrowing of the arteries supplying the kidneys called renal artery stenosis. Other causes are hormonal, obesity/metabolic , or certain meds. ...Read more
HTN: Primary causes - you are born with it. Secondary - renal, endocrine, etc - treat the underlying cause. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the causes of high blood pressure in women?
- What are the causes of low blood pressure and bradycardia?
- What are the health benefits of kelp for high blood pressure cholesterol?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the benefits of wheatgrass for cholesterol and high blood pressure?
- What are the causes of high blood levels of vitamin b12?
- What are the causes of high rates of red blood cell precipitation?
- What are the symptoms of high blood pressure in women?
- Talk to a cardiologist online