Doctor insights on:
What Are The Best Preventative Methods For High Blood Pressure
Blood pressure is a measurement of the force placed on the blood vessels and is comprised of the "systolic" pressure (the top number on a blood pressure meter) which is the peak pressure when the heart is pumping, and the "diastolic" pressure (the bottom number on a blood pressure meter) which is the pressure during the resting phase ...Read more
Simple is better: Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain, and less salt. The more processed the food is, the more likelihood is that it will contain salt and other preservatives that may adversely affect bp. Also, increasing exercise and weight loss help. If there is any question of sleep apnea, get tested. That, too, can increase bp. ...Read more
Combination approach: Consider the combination approach- lower the sodium in your diet, exercise most days of the week, take time to de-stress, and monitor your blood pressure with a home blood pressure cuff to see how well this regimen is working. You may also need medication if the blood pressure doesn't improve with these measures. ...Read more
Depends: There are a lot of factors that affect what medicine should be given first. Race, whether you have diabetes, your age, and how high the blood pressure is would all be factors. Since many patients end up needing two or more medications, it often becomes a mute point which to start with. A thiazide diuretic, ace inhibitor, or arb are good choices for a starting medication. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
The "best" depends: There is no one best medicine for everyone. Your doctor will consider the most likely causes based on your specific conditions. Sometimes low doses of several medications are prescribed to reduce pressure while minimizing medication side effects. The benefit of light-to-moderate exercise is very real. If you are healthy enough to exercise, but are sedentary, start walking, bicycling, or swimming. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the best supplements for high blood pressure?
- What are the asthma medications available for people with high blood pressure?
- What are the health benefits of kelp for high blood pressure cholesterol?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the symthoms for high blood pressure it runs in my family?
- What is the best treatment for high blood pressure?
- What is the best treatment for moderate high blood pressure?
- What are the benefits of nattokinase for high blood pressure?
- Talk to a cardiologist online