Doctor insights on:
What Are The Benefits Of Squid Ink
Squid is considered a mollusk (oyster, clam, abalone etc) although a free-ranging one.
Its ink contains proteins which can sensitize people just like clams or oysters do. ...Read more
If I have an allergy to squid and other seafood, would I react to a meal containing squid ink too? (ie.: squid ink pasta)
Likely: But this has not been well studied and thus it would not be wise for you to try squid ink until proven otherwise. It is probably quite easy to confirm this by having your allergist do a prick-to-prick skin test to squid ink. ...Read more
Diabetes M. = ↑Sugar: Diabetes mellitus is defined as elevated blood glucose; optimal hba1c ≤5.0%. By ada promoted standards, dm is not present until hba1c ≥6.5%. Thus eating foods containing little to no sugar, e.g. Meats, should not be a problem. On the other hand, tastes/preferences vary widely & some humans react badly to all kinds of things for all kinds of internalized reasons, especially memories of events past. ...Read more
I having Urticaria right now because of squid. What should I eat? And can I go to windy places or use fans? Thank you for helping me
HIves: Hives can occur immediately after eating squid if there is a food allergy or possibly due to scromboid poisoning if the seafood was improperly handled or prepared. Antihistamines such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine) are indicated in both cases. Both can also cause dangerous systemic reactions that are life threatening and require emergency care. I'm not sure if windy places or fans will either help or hurt you. ...Read more
See your Allergist: The first step would be to discuss with your board certified allergist what exactly happens when you eat seafood. If your history suggest an allergy reaction then you should be skin tested to clarify / confirm your history. If your history and skin test conform a shellfish allergy then strict avoidance is necessary. You should also be prescribed an injectable form of Epinephrine to have available. ...Read more
Maybe: About 10-15% of people who are allergic to shellfish are also allergic to mollusks (including squid). An allergist can help you find out. If you have not eaten squid since your shellfish reaction, you should be evaluated before trying because of the risk of reaction. ...Read more
Food allergy: Allergy to any food, in this case squid will cause symptoms of oral itching, lip or tongue swelling, hives, breathing difficulty and/or throat closure etc. Food allergy is diagnosed with clinical history followed by skin or blood test and that information helps establish the diagnosis and severity of the allergy. ...Read more
I can feel a soft (like squid)structure attached to left testicle but can't it feel to the right. What could that be?
Not Always: You should be tested for allergies to all of them. If you are allergic to shrimp, crab, or lobster and no others it is unlikely, but if you are allergic to clams or mussels allergy to the other foods is more likely. Either way the only way to know is get tested. See an allergist. ...Read more
Good for him?: No but doesn't mean he can't eat it in small amounts. Consult with his cardiologist. ...Read more
Great question: Better to be specific. Shellfish = “crustaceans” (lobsters, "crayfish", prawns, crabs and shrimp) and “molluscs, ” [abalone, oysters, mussels, and squid (calamari)]. Other fish allergies are to “scaly” and “bony” fish, such as cod, haddock, herring, sprat, halibut, mackerel, trout and salmon. Hard to differentiate when they are cooked together! ...Read more
If you are sensitive: If you are sensitive to the proteins in these foods, your body makes antibodies that recognize them and set off an allergic reaction. Most foods have the potential of causing allergies, but a few are more likely and shellfish are among the 8 most common food allergens. ...Read more
Is it safe to eat squid ink pasta/squid ink paella during pregnancy? Currently 5 months pregnant.
Yes: Yes, it is probably ok. As you probably have seen, the biggest concern with fish is that there may be high levels of mercury, which can potentially be harmful. It may be helpful to check with your local food agency because mercury levels in fish are rated, for example albacore tuna and swordfish from the Gulf of Mexico are rated at higher mercury levels. Depends on where the fish comes from. ...Read more
I have white raised areas on hard palate, behind front teeth- similar to a squid's curled tentacles. What is this? Do I need to see a Doctor/Dentist?
Normal: Those are normal anatomical tissue contours called rugae. Look in someone else's mouth and see the appearance - or take a selfie and have them take one and compare. All are different in contour location and degree. Not to worry. Good Luck. ...Read more
Probably not in U.S.: Most pen ink in the U.S. Is called non-toxic, because it is well known that kids put pens in their mouths. However, to be safe, one should buy pens marked non-toxic, or check the manufacturer's website. Better yet, don't put things into the mouth (except food/drink). ...Read more
Depends on how much I guess but why would you even eat ink except by accident. Now could it kill you....I guess anything can kill you in "Costco" or bulk amounts. No worries.
Connect with my Virtual Practice on Healthtap for any dental questions with my special keycode: DFWMCQ! Securely video or text chat by virtual appointment. Http://htap. Us/28qexs ...Read more
What type of: Reaction? Are you writing on yourself or did you spill ink on your skin? May wish to clarify but in meantime would avoiding writing on yourself. ...Read more
Unlikely: Some inks can cause a permanent mark which could be removed if it is on an obvious or embarrasing place. Many inks are water soluble and so the spot will fade. Infection is quite unlikey but be diligent and seek help if there is local redness or pain after a day or two. ...Read more
If you mean tetanus: Toxoid injection, it is good for 10 years. ...Read more
No: You get tetanus when a wound is infected by tetanus germs that make a toxin. Tetanus spores are widely distributed in nature, more often found in soil, but also in other areas. A pen ink would not carry tetanus spores, yet a wound created by a puncture wound (from a pen) could be contaminated from another source. ...Read more
I got stabbed with a pen, now there's a little bit of ink under my skin. How do I get it out of there?
Healing: You don't. Your body will take care of this over time. ...Read more
I'll bet you don't: If you are compulsively drinking fountain pen ink, more than an ounce at a time, you might get sick from it. You should get with somebody who can help you with this compulsion -- your personal physician has heard much stranger and won't think the less of you. If somebody told you to stop writing note to yourself on your hand, stop worrying, it won't make you sick. ...Read more
Tetanus spores are found in dirt, so a clean pen is not likely to inoculate with tetanus, while a dirty pen could.
A tetanus booster is recommended avery 10 years, and within 5 years if you have a tetanus prone wound. ...Read more
Non phthalates: Non phthalate inks are safe forchildrenGet a more detailed answer ›
My 9-month-old ate a small piece of paper (printer paper with black ink) before I could catch her. Should I be concerned?
Not to worry: A small amount of paper with ink will likely not cause the least bit of harm. Have you baby proofed yet? :) ...Read more
Some people are sensitive to the ink in tatoos....You can also develop severe infections from the ink.
Check out this link. Good luck.
http://emedicine. Medscape. Com/article/1124433-overview. ...Read more