Doctor insights on:
What Are The Benefits Of Having Oral Acetylcysteine In Pulmonary Fibrosis
Pulmonary fibrosis: There is one type of pulmonary fibrosis (aka interstitial lung disease) known as uip(usual interstitial pneumonia) of which there have been some trials done with n-acetylcysteine(nac). It is thought that it may slow down the inflammatory process associated with uip. To date, there have not been convincing studies to suggest this. That being said, we do use it because the side effects are minimal. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No and Yes: At this time the only curative intervention for pulmonary fibrosis is lung transplantation. There are no medications that have been proven to cure the disease. Some medicines may help (such as steroids, n-acetylcysteine and pirfenidone) slow the disease however. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: As the disease progreses air exchange is lessenend you would feel short of breath. In addition pressure at the pulmonary vasculature increases a commonly used agent is Revatio which is sildefanil (viagra) used for erectile dysfuction. . Decreses pulmonary vessel pressure. Avoidance of smoke and other inhaled irritants is paramount ! ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: Typically, patients are in their forties and fifties when diagnosed. Pulmonary fibrosis could be idiopathic (unknown cause), or due to asbestosis, silicosis, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, lupus (sle), sarcoidosis, certain medications, radiation and many more. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
If I can exercise less and less over the past few months does that mean I have pulmonary fibrosis?
Supportive care: Supplemental oxygen, good nutrition and breathing exercises may be of benefit. There is currently no effective treatment to prevent worsening of most pulmonary fibrosis. N-acetyl cyteine supplements are currently being studied along with a medication called perfenidone to see if outcomes are different. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean if i have pain in the left part of my back where my ribs are?
- What are the health benefits of swimming in sea water?
- What are the end life symptoms of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the chances of getting emphysema if you have not smoked in 30 years?
- What are the odds of us getting bronchitis if someone in the family is having it?
- What are the benefits of having healthy habits and a good diet?
- What are the chances of having a second child with cystic fibrosis?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free