Doctor insights on:
What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Different Treatments For Melanoma
Several: Melanoma is almost always treated with surgery first; the amount of surgery depends on the clark level (how deep it is), which is measured in millimeter fractions. A sentinel lymph node (first lymph node to respond) is sometimes removed; chemotherapy and targeted molecular therapies are used in certain circumstances. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Skin is the largest and one of the most complex organs in the body composed of hundreds of different structures. Nearly any of these elements can degenerate into cancer. However the three most common are: basal cell, squamous cell and melanoma which occur in that order and degree of aggressiveness. Although heredity plays a major role, sun exposure and tobacco use & ...Read more
Depends: Currently, surgical excision is the standard of care. However, depending on the stage of a patient's melanoma there are some new treatments that may show promise for the future. Vemurafenib is one such treatment, but it is used in a very specific set of patients. Melanoma vaccines are also theoretically possible but have not been very successful to date. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Recurrent Melanoma: This is a condition that requires in many cases agressive care with an oncologist and surgeon team with a special interest with melanoma treatment. Often a University Affiliated program with specific treatment protocols are of beneift. Seeking a second opinion by an expert that specializes in Melanoma treatment is helpful. ...Read more
ABCD's: Remember your abcd's when thinking of melanoma. Look for moles with asymmetry boarders that are irregular color differences within the same mole diameter greater than 6mm also any new mole or old that starts to itch, bleed or ulcerate should be of concern. Another rule is the ugly duckling rule. Which refers to a mole that looks distantly different from the others on your body. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Unusual, but: Without knowing many more details it's impossible to guess - bt strange single cases do occur. Each person must deal w/ such a Dx in their best way and with the support of good doctors if possible. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of different treatments for body lice?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of different treatments for hemophilia?
- What are the advantages disadvantages of wrestling?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the advantages disadvantages of eating fats?
- And what are advantages and disadvantages of epidural and spinal
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of cardiac ablation?
- What are the advantages or disadvantages of grapeseed oil?
- Talk to a dermatologist online