Doctor insights on:
What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Different Treatments For Hemophilia
Many and varied.: Depending on which hemophilia (bleeding disorder) you deal with, treatments can vary. Fresh frozen plasma or FFP has factors 8 and 9 but needs plasma exchange at the hospital. Factor 8 and 9 concentrates can be given by injection at home. Cryoprecipitate has factor 8, vwf and fibrinogen, but may need several bags and is usually done for infants and small children. Aspirin is to be avoided. ...Read more
Subspecialist: These are difficult, lifelong diseases that will involve care by subspecialist hematologists focused on their treatment, and much education and being proactive by the patient and family. The rx is factor replacement and care of complications. If it is hemophilia b, see if you can get into a gene therapy study. ...Read more
Subspecialist care: The two common hemophilias are lack of factor viii (hemophilia a) and factor ix (hemophilia b) respectively. Of variable severity, these people are prone to bleed too easily especially from blunt trauma. Treatment consists of replacement of the missing factor and is a complicated business with specialists that are well-equipped to do this. Cure by gene therapy may soon be here for ix. Good luck. ...Read more
Yes: A person with hemophilia can and should have routine preventive and comprehensive dental care. If surgical intervention is planned or a procedure where bleeding is anticipated, your dentist and/or surgeon will or should consult with your hematologist to discuss the planned treatment and options for minimizing the risk of excessive or prolonged bleeding. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of different treatments for melanoma?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of different treatments for body lice?
- What are the advantages disadvantages of wrestling?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the advantages disadvantages of eating fats?
- And what are advantages and disadvantages of epidural and spinal
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of cardiac ablation?
- What are the advantages or disadvantages of grapeseed oil?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free