Doctor insights on:
What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Cardiac Ablation
Short List: Advantages: potential permanent fix no need for lifetime meds (often) feeling of "doing something about it" disadvantages: expensive if you pay in cash carries procedural risks requires time off work (but not much) may require repeat procedure very competent doctor often required to get best results and avoid inadvertent damage. Not all doctors ablate with equal skill (much the same as surgeons). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
To feel better: On a more serious note, you will lay flat on a special table and be draped with a sterile sheet. Your groin will be injected with medicine to numb the skin. Your doctor will usually give you some mild sedation to make you comfortable. During the procedure you may feel palpitations and occasionally some chest or shoulder discomfort. When it's done you wil have to lay flat for a few hours. ...Read more
Partial List: It depends on the procedure. There are many ablations and the risks are determined by what structures we're near in the procedure. Pain at catheter insertion site bleeding cardiac perforation risk of pacemaker stroke damage to coronary arteries damage to heart valves good news: the risk of major complications is usually < 4%, *often* <1% w/ an excellent md and the risk of dying is usu < 1:1000. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes, reasonably safe: Cardiac ablation is a procedure that cardiac electrophysiologist use to burn out some extra pathway where the heart's electrical current might initiate erratically. The physician needs to do cardiac mapping and find out where is the possible source of extra firing source of the electrical current. Md then burn them out with freezing burn. Under good hands it is relatively safe, 1% complication. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Ablation: usually not more then few daysGet a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the advantages disadvantages of wrestling?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of pacemakers?
- What are the advantages disadvantages of eating fats?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the advantages or disadvantages of grapeseed oil?
- What are the advantages disadvantages of nutritional therapy?
- What are the advantages disadvantages of family planning?
- What are the disadvantages and advantages of fertility treatment?
- Talk to a cardiologist online