Doctor insights on:
What Are Some Disadvantages Of The Implantable Contraceptive Implanon
Progesterone implant: Implanon is a small, rod shaped implant that is placed just under the skin on the inside of your upper arm. It continuously releases progesterone, which prevents ovulation and renders the endometrium less favorable for implantation. It provides contraception for 3 years. Implanon is considered a top tier contraceptive method (most effective) comparable to an iud or even permanent sterilization. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
3 years: Three years.Get a more detailed answer ›
Long acting: It is a small, thin tube-like device that is implanted under the skin. It is very simple to do so. It provides excellent contraception for three years. It has no estrogen so there is no risk of blood clot, stroke, etc. It is associated with a fair amount of breakthrough bleeding. ...Read more
Yes it is: Yes it is still effective.Get a more detailed answer ›
Irreg bldg common: Irregular bleeding is common on implanon--it's a trade-off for very effective, easy, safe birth control. If it's bothering you to the point you're thinking of having it removed, ask your dr about possible treatments (sometimes other hormones added). Other possible treatments include Ibuprofen (2-3 tablets 4x/day may be helpful--take with food). ...Read more
Different hormones: Implanon & Norplant are both a Progesterone type of birth control which are long acting and easily reversed. The Norplant is 6 capsules inserted beneath the skin & good for 5 years. Implanon is one capsule good for 3 years. They're both extremely effective- & Implanon is considered the most effective form of birth control. Norplant is no longer available in the us. Side effects same for both. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are some advantages of the implantable contraceptive implanon?
- What are the disadvantages of the contraceptive sponge?
- What are some advantages of the contraceptive sponge?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are some advantages of the emergency contraceptive or morning after pill?
- What are some disadvantages of using the birth control patch?
- What are some disadvantages of the cervical cap?
- What are some of the disadvantages of a laser eye surgery?
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free