Doctor insights on:
What Are Some Characteristics Of Als
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a disorder of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that play a role in controlling voluntary muscle movement. While few cases may be due to a genetic defect, the cause is usually unknown. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, muscle ...Read more
10-20 years old.: Average age at onset of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (als), or lou gehrig's disease, is 10-20 years old; it's younger in patients with familial ALS than in patients with sporadic disease. About 5-10% of patients with ALS have the familial form. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
It can be: Because the disease causes progressive disability, adaptive equipment is used to enable the patient to be as mobile as possible. There are also communication devices which may be needed as weakness of the tongue and jaw make speech difficult. Adaptive equipment can be very expensive. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
ALS symptoms vary: ALS symptoms may vary from person to person. For some people muscles throughout the body may be affected, in others, it may only be in the arms or legs. Shared symptoms include painless weakness, muscle wasting, weight loss, and spontaneous muscle contractures (fasciculations). Sensation is not affected. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Variable: Everyone is different. Depending on comorbid issues. Average is 2-5 yrs after diagnosis depending on aggressiveness. However: 50% more than 3 yrs. 20% over 5 yrs. 10% more than 10 yrs and 5% more than 20 yrs - also depends on how aggressive the care and treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are some dangers of inhaling ammonia fumes?
- What are some of the nursing interventions for hypotension?
- What are some dangers of clorox bleach fumes?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are some causes of dark urine and belly pain?
- What are some good tips to get rid of bloated feeling after overeating?
- What are some side effects of inhaling gasoline fumes?
- What are the chances of me getting als when my grandmother had it?
- Talk to a neurologist online