Doctor insights on:
What Are Some Advantages Of The Cervical Cap
Cervical cap: The cervical cap is a form of barrier contraception. It is inserted by the women and, as the name implies, it sits like a "cap" over the cervix. This prevents the sperm from entering the uterus & thereby preventing fertilization of the egg. Spermicide is also added to the dome portion of the cap to increase the effectiveness. Your doctor will need to help select the right size for you. ...Read more
Wash, dry & check it: After you remove the cervical cap, wash it with mild soap and warm water. Allow it to air dry. Be sure to examine the cervical cap regularly to look for small holes or weak spots by holding it up to the light. You can also fill the cup of the cervical cap with water and look for leaks. If you take good care of your cervical cap it may last about two years. The cervical cap is made of silicone. ...Read more
At least 6 hours: Each time you have intercourse, check that the cervical cap is still covering the cervix. You can leave the cap in place and insert more spermicide deep into your vagina. The cervical cap must stay in place six hours after the last intercourse. Do not leave the cervical cap in place for more than 48 hours. ...Read more
Barrier Contraceptiv: A cervical cap is a form of barrier contraception. It is filled with some spermicide and inserted over the cervix to prevent pregnancy. Modern cervical caps must be fitted by a clinician due to the wide variation in cervical size. They are not often prescribed nowadays. Cassanova is credited (?True) with inventing the cervical cap by using half of a lemon. ...Read more
A few: Some women are allergic to spermicides, the cap could potentially be moved with some positions, and the cap should not be used when you are menstruating.The risk benefit ratio is very weighted in favor of the cap. ...Read more
Cervical Cap: A cervical cap is inserted prior to relations, unlike a diaphragm it can remain in place for up to 48 hrs. The advantage is that it can be placed long before you have intercourse so that lovemaking isn't interrupted. You must check it's position before you have relations. It's more popular on the west coast so it may be difficult to find a physician who is comfortable fitting you. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are some advantages of using the food guide pyramid?
- What are some advantages of the contraceptive sponge?
- What are some advantages of the emergency contraceptive or morning after pill?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are some advantages of the natural family planning method of birth control?
- What are some advantages of the implantable contraceptive implanon?
- What are some of the nursing interventions for hypotension?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of pacemakers?
- Talk to a obstetrician and gynecologist online