Doctor insights on:
What Are Dangers Of Eating Moldy Cabbage
I am so busy at work as a nurse I rarely have time to eat. I accidentally ate moldy bread today. Dangerous?
No: Moldy bread is more of a problem if you inhale the mold spores and are allergic to mold. Some tasty cheeses have mold in them. ...Read more
Molds consist of airborn spores and spreading forms (hyphae) growing on surfaces. Several species are black including stachybotrys and aspergillus. Black mold ingestion has been associated with a toxic syndrome with brain and blood disorders. Most patients do not ingest black mold so the correlation with their ...Read more
I ate a banana chocolate chip muffin last night that tasted funny. This morning I looked at the muffins and they were all moldy (white fuzz). Dangerous?
Not Dangerous: Most likely you will be fine. Most food borne illnesses show symptoms within the first 12-24 hours. Mold generally will not cause too much difficulty if eaten in small quantities. ...Read more
Black Mold Risks:
Stachybotrys chartarum species of mold is called black mold.
Some people are sensitive to molds.
Symptoms of black mold exposure:
• Chronic coughing and sneezing
• Irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat
• Chronic fatigue
• Persistent headaches
In particularly severe cases of prolonged exposure, black mold health effects can be more dangerous. ...Read more
My boyfriend lives in a building that we believe has black mold. It's actually visible. I usually am only there on the weekends. Exactly how dangerous is it for my health and his?
Just unsanitary: For some people with respiratory problems, allergy or asthma this can be a concern. However, black mold is not a big a problem as people fear. More problems may arise from the dampness that supports the infestation or any chemicals used to clean it. It's a good idea to deal with excessive moisture though by addressing leaks, using dehumidifiers etc. Mold/fungi make 1/4 of the earth's biomass. ...Read more
We have black mold in our bathroom and a handyman is going to replace the entire shower soon. Is it dangerous to use the bathroom until then?
Is it dangerous for my three Years old Son / us to live in a house with black mold? Wat is meant by longterm exposure: a day, Several weeks / months?
Depends: There are dozens of mold species that are dark or black in appearance. Only one, the Stachybotrys has a predictable toxic effect on anyone (unless you have non-specific allergies to many molds). Unless you know the type of mold, we cannot speculate on the safety of any exposure. ...Read more
No: Most mold on bread is rhizopus, not penicillium, and would not cause a reaction in those with allergy to the drug penicillin. There have been a few penicillium molds producing penicillin found in some sausages and cheeses, but generally, there probably is not enough penicillin to cause a reaction, since this is almost never seen. The usda recommends that moldy breads be discarded for everyone. ...Read more
My bathroom sink has black mold in and a tiny droplet of water near the mould splatted on my lips and I ate after. Is this small amount dangerous?
What you described is not dangerous.
For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Drink enough water daily so that your urine is mostly colorless.
Practice safe sex. ...Read more
~1yr black mold exposure unaware. Sinus symptoms 3 mo. Now had acute exposure; can nasal irrigation push spores deeper&risk dangerous fung infx? Or good2do?
Should be fine: Most sinus/respiratory symptoms related to mold exposure are due to an allergic type reaction as well as irritating toxins. Using irrigation to clear out the spores would help with both of these problems. Serious "invasive" fungal infections of the sinuses are rare and occur in people who have uncontrolled diabetes or severely suppressed immune systems. "Black mold" does not cause these infections ...Read more
Not usually: Usually not. In rare cases the mold is such that neurological or allergic symptoms can arise (ergotism in the middle ages). ...Read more
Likely nothing: Other than tasting bad, there is minimal serious risk to ingesting bread mold in small quantities. ...Read more
Will I get sick from eating moldy yogurt? If so, how bad will I be sick. I just scraped off the moldy part and ate the rest of what looked good.
Don't do it again: You might get food poisoning symptoms within an hour like belly pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If this occurs, drink plenty of fluid and come seen a doctor. More severely, anaerobic bacteria grows inside the sealed package. If this is the case, you mild have severe diarrhea and that can be dangerous. This takes hours to days. You need to see a doctor if those occur. Don't do it next time. ...Read more
I would be careful about eating any food which has not been stored properly. This can allow bacteria and other organisms to grow and multiply. Some molds are benign and some are not.
This can deliver a load of toxins to your intestinal tract. It is not sufficient to cut off the mold, because there may be more in the rest of the product. ...Read more
No: Accidentally eating moldy bread will probably not harm you -- it's happened to most of us from time to time. Drinking soft drinks will do nothing to affect that, though -- in fact I know of nothing health protective at all in drinking them. ...Read more
No: It's gross, but not dangerous.Get a more detailed answer ›
Yes: In most cases yes. Most bread mold isn't harmful. ...Read more
No: Would think not.Get a more detailed answer ›
Peanut contamination: People can be allergic to many different things. The commonest mold to get on bread products is a blue-green mold called penicillium. Allergies to this mold usually cause respiratory symptoms like sneezing, when it is inhaled. Eating it could possibly cause hives, but the cases of hives I've seen related to pastries usually were due to peanut contamination and peanut allergy. Have a skin test. ...Read more
Give It Time: Secretory diarrhea from a cheese ingestion will resolve as soon as your body flushes out the offending agent. ...Read more
I was eating some strawberries when I noticed that one strawberry out of the container had mold. Is it ok if I ate the non-moldy ones? 33 weeks preg.
Should be just fine: Fortunately, our stomach acid is a great first line defense against many of the things we encounter (often unknowingly) in our foods. The amount, if any, of the mold you ingested will likely bring no harm to you or your fetus. However, vomiting, diarrhea or cramping should prompt a call to your OB/gyn. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a sip of iced tea with mold in it. It's disgusting...I heard people can get cancer from eating moldy stuff. What shall I do?
Having abdominal pain and diarrhea today after eating moldy bread 3 days prior. I have IBS diarrhea but this is different. Will it pass on its own?
IBS-D or not?: As a syndrome, ibs likely represents a number of diseases that manifest with the same GI symptoms. As such, lots of different ibs-d treatments work, and lots of things can precipitate or mimick a flare. Should resolve but, if worsens, get help please. ...Read more
Absolutely!: Some molds release toxins that can cause a variety of problems, mostly with breathing, in humans in general. Some people will develop allergies to the molds; this often starts with nasal congestion and sneezing, and may develop into cough and wheezing as well. Remove all the mold with a dilute bleach solution but more importantly, eliminate the water leakage that allowed the mold to grow. ...Read more
You'll be okay: I'm going to assume that it did not trigger an attack of asthma that took you to the emergency room. This isn't the place to talk about whether legalization will make the product safer, or that smoking anything isn't really doing your lungs a favor. The greatest danger of 'weed' is doing something silly while you're high. Be careful, and make good choices. ...Read more
Wear a mask: Wear a particle mask to prevent inhaling the spores. Look for moisture in the location and get that eliminated; clean the files of a much of the mold as possible. When the moisture is resolved infusing thieves brand essential oil into the air (which may be uncomfortable to humans) will help to kill any remaining mold spores. If you can't get cooperation may need to look for a new job location. ...Read more
Likely nothing: Even though mold can produce toxin, the amount you consume would not have done you noticeable harm. However it is never a good idea to consume spoiled food. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Moldy cabbage
- Eating moldy strawberries
- The symptoms of eating moldy bread
- What are the dangers of eating tuna and mercury?
- What are the dangers of eating raw potatoes?
- What are the dangers of eating old cereal?
- Can eating moldy bread hurt you?
- Can you get sick eating moldy bread?
- Eating moldy rye bread