Doctor insights on:
What Are Alternatives To Acl Surgery
Rehab & bracing: Not all ACL injuries require surgical intervention, but most do. Most activities of daily living can be performed without a functioning acl. Cutting, pivoting and changing direction are difficult or outright impossible for most patients without an acl. One can alter their activities avoiding those that cause knee instability, try bracing and definitely try rehabilitation in effort to avoid surgery. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Because an acl (anterior cruciate ligament) cannot heal itself on its own, an acl is "reconstructed" by placing a graft tendon substitute (from your own or donor cadaver tendon) placed into tunnels made in the original acl position, and fixed in place with screws, buttons, or other fixation device. The body then replaces the cells and structure of the graft over 6-8 months, ...Read more
Different graft type: The ACL is typically reconstructed (replaced) rather than repaired. We typically reconstruct the ligament with a graft. The graft choice is often individualized to the patient. The three most common graft choices are a portion of the patellar tendon (bone patellar tendon bone), a piece of the hamstring tendon, or a graft from a cadaver (allograft). They all work well in the appropriate patient ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Post ACL surgery 10days..22yrs, m. If i increase the frequency of my exercise, will it benifit? I know i can do more..Pt says no exceeding 3times a day.
6-9 months: There are 2 considerations for recovery after acl reconstruction. First is the immediate surgery recovery, which can vary depending on surgeon and whether your own tendon is used. Generally you can be walking normally somewhere between 1 and 6 weeks. More importantly, the graft does not reincorporate until 6-8 months for your own and 8-9 months for donor graft. You cannot be pivoting before then. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are any alternatives to surgery for exertional compartment syndrome?
- What are the alternatives to surgery for cervical degenerative disk disease?
- What are the alternatives to bladder prolapse surgery?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are some good minerals and herbs to help a bone fusion after having surgery?
- What are some possible options other than surgery to straighten a curved penis?
- What is the alternative to surgery for cataracts for a 80 year old?
- What are the danger signs to look for after parathyroid removal surgery?
- Talk to a sports medicine specialist online for free